• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mpg/tire size

4bogginchevys

I was just wondering what size tires everyone is running on there 1008 if stock....

Les Schwab told me that 265/75/16 (32"tall) is stock tire size for the 80's 1 ton chevy's, but some of the vids on here of people's truck seem to show smaller tires(no I cant read the sidewall LOL), mine are 245/75/16 which is about (30.5 tall). That means I cant accurately check my MPG to post on the MPG thread of this forum. I just wanted to bring it up so that all information about MPG is accurate and see what size seems to be the best for power/top speed/economy as I am in the market for aggressive tires for winter time...thanks

AJMBLAZER

235/85R16 was stock.

I've got 11.00R16 (38x11ishR16) on mine and it still drives nice. Actually will do 75 even!

Mileage is in the 13mpg or so range.

4bogginchevys

thanks for the reply, I will ask again at the tire shop and try to find out why thier giving incorrect info.

Do you have a pic of the truck you can post...38's with 1" of lift in the front...i'm impressed,maybe as your avatar since I am still learning where stuff is in the site.

To simplify I can say that I want to run the biggest tires that will clear without "trimming" because the body of the truck is luckily rust free and in great shape

keep those posts coming:-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Currently, I have 285/75/16 tires on mine. They fit very well(no interference). I don't think you can go any larger without some modifications made.

In the near future. I plan to install 37" Humvee radials(I have them now). I do not want to cut my fenders. I am planning to use a Superlift K462 1 ton 6" lift kit.(front springs are actually 5.5"lift). I don't want to go that high, but I don't want interference when articulated off road. My goal is not to build it into an offroader, just increase the top speed to more useable highway speeds.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

http://www.cardomain.com/id/AJMBLAZER

I've kind of given up on CarDomain there though. The pics are decently current though.

Yes, I cut to fit narrow 38's. Mine was pretty rust free as well. I did it so I ended up with what I have, a 1 ton pickup on 38's that can go 75 and isn't super high. It also fits under a 7' door jamb.

If you want to lift it look at the Tuff Country HD line. Better quality stuff than Superstiff.

Tire guys are famous for being ass-talkers. I pretty much don't listen to whatever advise they give me. When I bought the 265/75R16's I have on my Blazer I had the place mount them on some 16x8 aluminum rims I also had.
A-The guy was worried that I didn't have valve stems rated for over 40psi (he was reading the sidewall and figured I'd be running them under my 5000lb K5 at like 65psi:roll:)
B-He couldn't understand why I'd run this tire and rim combo under an old Chevy when I could just buy conventional 33's. When I told him I wanted taller but not wider tires with at least a D load range he seemed confused.:roll:

At least they mounted and balanced the tires correctly and the price was good.

Croatan_Kid

I was getting 14 mpg with my 11.00R-16s, a 700R4, and the lift on my truck. It was decent and I could cruise as fast as I wanted.

Of course, now, I have gobs of power and get 19 mpg :twisted: That's entirely irrelevant, but I had to mention it :-D

4bogginchevys

I need tires

Currently, I have 285/75/16 tires on mine. They fit very well(no interference). I don't think you can go any larger without some modifications made.

In the near future. I plan to install 37" Humvee radials(I have them now). I do not want to cut my fenders. I am planning to use a Superlift K462 1 ton 6" lift kit.(front springs are actually 5.5"lift). I don't want to go that high, but I don't want interference when articulated off road. My goal is not to build it into an offroader, just increase the top speed to more useable highway speeds.
Can you direct me to where I can get some 37" humvee tires like yours? Thier not for 1008, i'll use them on my mud truck. Any how I also might try the 285's for 1008....they seem to be perfect, now I just need to find them!:-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several places come to mind.
Kublo's Surplus in Brackney Pa(where I bought mine).
Alredneck on this site has them(he's in the South, maybe Tennessee, but travels a lot) I am about to get 4 more from him.
Gays tire in GA

btw, The 37" radials are for a 16.5" rim.

4bogginchevys

thank you sir

Several places come to mind.
Kublo's Surplus in Brackney Pa(where I bought mine).
Alredneck on this site has them(he's in the South, maybe Tennessee, but travels a lot) I am about to get 4 more from him.
Gays tire in GA

btw, The 37" radials are for a 16.5" rim.
Unfortunately if thier 16.5 I cant/wont run them....thanks for trying though:!:

mark69k20

Doghead,
Did you get your 37's and lift on? Curious to hear how it came out...

91W350

I run 255/85/16 on my m1031. They are 34" tall, can run about 65 get approx. 14 mpg.
That is screaming.... a 16.5 loaded radius at 65 mph is right at 3,000 rpm. I have run my M1008 that hard too, but I hate to. Normally I try to stay on the 50mph range. Just plug your number into this calculator.

Speed versus RPM calculator

In this case the loaded radius would be 17 with no sidewall flex, I used 16.5, transfer case/transmission is 1:1 and gear ratio is 4.56 These online calculators save me a lot of math time and will really help you with your tire selection. I do not think the 6.2 was designed to run 3,000 for an extended period of time. Glen

solarmon

In the near future. I plan to install 37" Humvee radials(I have them now). I do not want to cut my fenders. I am planning to use a Superlift K462 1 ton 6" lift kit.(front springs are actually 5.5"lift). .

Good luck on that Superlift thing. .my 3 1/2" front / 2" rear kit has been on backorder from them for over 4 months now.

Fortunately, my 9.00x16 STA Superlug tires (36") fit QUITE nicely with no lift at all. ..front is a a CLOSE fit (even with the fenders trimmed all the way back on the rear side) to be sure, but they haven't rubbed yet.. .and I drive some pretty extreme trails here in Moab. (actually, right now it mostly just sits in the yard covered with snow from our current "winter from ****"

Haven't figured out what it's done for my MPG, but it sure makes it go down the highway faster and quieter

ps nice to note that my "H-E -double-toothpicks" word regarding winter was artfuly censored to "****"

Attachments

Last edited:

mtjbrown

That is screaming.... a 16.5 loaded radius at 65 mph is right at 3,000 rpm. I have run my M1008 that hard too, but I hate to. Normally I try to stay on the 50mph range. Just plug your number into this calculator.

In this case the loaded radius would be 17 with no sidewall flex, I used 16.5, transfer case/transmission is 1:1 and gear ratio is 4.56 These online calculators save me a lot of math time and will really help you with your tire selection. I do not think the 6.2 was designed to run 3,000 for an extended period of time. Glen
I agree, that is the max speed, I normally run it at 60 just to stay up with the trucks. Thats also why I am looking for a 700r4 to put in it.

kennyw

I am also running the Hummer 37" radials with a 2" lift and minimal trimming. With 4.10 gears and the 37" tires I can run 65-70 and get 15 mpg unloaded. Drops to 13 mpg hauling a load in the mountains.

SPECIALTYLC

Its a diesel. They will run on the govenor all day long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks