• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 1 light brighter

trooper632

Just got the generator rebuilt and after it starts gen 1 light stays on but dim, as you accelerate it gets brighter and stays bright while driving. then at adle its dim. what gives.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CCKW's have a gen 1 light?

edit, I moved this to the cucv forum(was posted in the cckw forum)

Last edited:

ida34

Only when it has had a really hard collision with a cucv. If this is a cucv you should have two alternators. Did you have the driver's side or the passenger's side rebuilt? The driver's side is the one that shows up as Gen1.

trooper632

It was the drivers side that was rebuilt, I had a coulpe rebuilt now that u mention it. Does it matter if you put one on the opposite.

4bogginchevys

on a related topic I was curious if anyone knows why the military chooses to call them "gen 1 gen 2" when they are altenators? To my knowledge chevy hasn't used a generator since the 60's

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't try to be logical when talking military terms!

ragedracer

It was the drivers side that was rebuilt, I had a coulpe rebuilt now that u mention it. Does it matter if you put one on the opposite.
Yes, it matters. One can go on the other, but not vice versa. I can't remember off the top of my head which way though. (EDIT: This only applies if you're replacing one of the alternators with a civilian unit - if the one they rebuilt is isolated ground, it doesn't matter which side it's on) Obviously though, if your gen light is on, something is wrong.

Last edited:

Springer604

im having the same problem cleaned every connection i could find all fuses and the sockets cleaned took dash cluster outand cleaned it,every ground scratched clean i took alt 1 apart changed diode tri as per anouther thread but still no luck only thing i can find wrong is when runnig alt 1 only puts out 14.60 to 14.55 while alt 2 puts out 14.7 is this the rectifier or brushes going bad? (hind site is i should have just put new every thing but im cheap) and yes i have new batteries new belts and truck only has 5500 og miles its a 1031 and im stuck next is rebuild the alt 1 ??????? please help!!!!!!light is bright at first gets dim turn fan on light gets 75% headlights plus fan 90% bright turn signals pulsate light with blinkin