• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cash for Clunkers

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spotted this M1009 in Joe's EZ pull today. Since the picture has been taken I've saved the hood (for myself) driver's door panel and steering wheel. As you can see the rear is already gone as is the trans, transfer case, starter, glow plug harness, alternators but it still has the engine and injector pump, dash and gauges and a good radiator. Also a good back seat and bumpers. Truck had hardly any rust and odometer shows 75K. See the second pic for remains of some more old OD iron there.

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Please make them stop :cry: Thats just wrong man ,the guy that put it there dose'nt have a clue to what he had . He could have done better that the scrap price I'm sure :evil: Some people don't get it

Coal Cracker

a buddy and I we're there about 3 weeks ago, and saw the poor cucv there, and I was po'd, forget about the engine, cause it was seized, on purpose, by the dealer who clunkered it.
Every vehicle that got clunkered had gotten a cocktail of acid poured into their engines, and run till seized.

Last year there was a reo deuce in there, not much to it, and it's since long gone.

JohnFire

That kinda looks like mine. I bought the truck in 1999 with 22,000 miles on it from a DRMO auction in Ramstein Germany and had it shipped back to the states August 01. I know what I had and it was going to cost me at least another $3,000 to keep it on the road this year. Between needing the radiator re-cored(yes it leaks) new injector pump, injectors, and lots of body work. In Germany I was getting 22 mpg, at the end it was down to 14 mpg. I needed a reliable vehicle for commuting. I had lots of memories in that truck and had it for 10 years, and had put lots of money into it. At least someone got the rear axle cause it was only a year old and the second one I had to put on that truck. Scrap prices were no where near $4500.

There is alot more rust than you would think even though it is better than some. The coating I put on the floor when I first got it kept alot out and also hid alot too as the years went on. It deteriorated when I went back overseas to work and had to be stored in a garage with a gravel floor.

That truck had been to more countries than most people. I was stationed in Germany and drove it to Paris France, Amsterdam 3 times in the Netherlands, Belgium, England(took it on the ferry over), Austria, Italy, Leichtenstein, Luxembourg, Swizerland, then in the states all the way out to Missouri and back.

You can hate me if you want but you didn't have to pay the bills and have a reliable vehicle for commuting. I am still working on selling the parts I stripped off of the truck. In 10 years I put at least 7K into on top of the 7K I paid for it and that is not including the 5K for the turbo and install. All in all I might get 7K back out of it.

jimm1009

Well o.k., since you ARE wearing boots in all the pics we'll be nice. :twisted:

Welcome to the club. This is generally a Termineal Desease that you will take to the grave and no cure available.

Keep in touch,
jimm1009

3dubs

It is worse than acid in the engine. The stuff is put in and run for long enough for it to mix completely on the oil and fill every oil passage. So when the engine siezes the rest of the of oil gets hard and fueses with the metal making a perminant bond. A siezed engine can be rebuilt but the stuff they used was pure evil. I know a service manager at a dealership. He said do no even take [arts off the engine. The oil cooler in the radiator is toast too. I do not think oil goes to the IP so it may be OK.

thefallguy

I have a friend that is a mechanic at the local Toyota stealership and he had to kill many vehicles for cash for clunkers. He told me that the Toyotas were the first to die (less then 10 minutes) which he attributed to tighter tolerances and oil passages. 4.3 V6 and 350 V8's would go for hours unless beat on without oil (full throttle). The Ford 300 inline six held the record with two trucks going better then 24 hours. He said he had two 6.2 diesels in and they would go for over 6 hours with no oil and liquid glass (what he called the stuff they replace the oil with).

He is a dyed in the wool toyota guy but had to admit that old American iron was tough to kill. Most of the trucks were pretty rotten and it is probably better that they are off the road and not causing a safety hazard to some poor schmuck who would otherwise be buying something with a cracked frame or something.

scooter01922

Right, so you trade your old 300 inline 6 that will go 24 hours with that nasty liquid glass instead of oil for something that can't take 10 min....uh yeah that seems like a wise choice....:roll: Thanks but you couldn't pay me enough to trade a real engine like a 300 ford for a new POS.

southdave

IMO the 300 was the best engine ever put into a pickup, I also had them in a F-350 and f-500 dump. As for the pick up it had 300,000 on it when i rebuilt it in 94, it still running at a pallet shop, i see it about once or twice year since it is loaded to gills with pallets. A note it was rebuilt because I thought it need to be started out as clutch job and i got crazy.

Last edited:

airmech

One more reason to love my old Ford 6, I've had a few of them over years and think they were the best engine Ford made. On the clunker deal i found a near mint 1987 C20 that was traded as a clunker in a junk yard. it was the cleanest truck I've seen since the 80's. The paint and markings on the frame were still clean enough to eat from. I got the bed from it for my 1008 and the cab/clip went on a dump truck. Still sad to see a nice truck parted.

4bogginchevys

All the "man" did was take a bunch of good parts and ruin them. Some poeple can only afford used parts and have no real hope of obtaining a loan for a $10,000 cracker jack box that will probably need work from a dealer to stay on the road for a single year....thats enough of my rant, thanks for listening:p

Last edited:

kassim503

The "man" killed my hopes and dreams of jamming a vortec 350 in one of my cars. I was having a field day for the first 30 seconds at the pull a part until I read the tag and looked at all that pink slag on the side of the motor:cry:. My cracker jack box with 80k on the clock burns more oil than my 6.2 smears all over the road. And thats my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks