• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting glowplug relay

cucvdonk

I have a late 1986 cucv with an ac delco 212-367 glowplug relay and I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement for it. So what I am wanting to do is convert it over to the earlier type relay that is like the solenoid off a starter. But what i am running into is the plug for mine that has four wires run into it. How do I rewire it to work with the old style relay. If anyone can help me out or maybe even have a wiring diagram that would help a lot.

CUCV85

search

I have a late 1986 cucv with an ac delco 212-367 glowplug relay and I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement for it. So what I am wanting to do is convert it over to the earlier type relay that is like the solenoid off a starter. But what i am running into is the plug for mine that has four wires run into it. How do I rewire it to work with the old style relay. If anyone can help me out or maybe even have a wiring diagram that would help a lot.
Hope this helps
Go to SEARCH, left click on search - Search Forums, type cucv, glow plug relay will be sometimes referred to as GPR.
NAPA ST-85 68.00 OR
NAPA ST-80 58.00
OR Advance Auto Parts s603 (BWD) 28.00 has copper contacts
This one cross references to NAPA ST-80 30.00 difference?

The hook up of GPR is (from the bottom to TOP) - first Bottom - all ORANGE wires, next small PINK wire on small post, next small BLUE wire on small post, Top - RED power source. Red wire will be from Resistors
(OR) like in this picture from the 12v terminal block (diamond shaped).

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #5

HelluvaEngineer

Thanks for the feedback. Those appear to be made overseas now and are listed on the "Bay" site that I can't link to as a comparable part for $15 each. Likely they are the same.

I'm asking because I'd rather buy two for the price of one and have a spare, and if someone has a Ford P/N that works just as well...that's OK too. I guess I should explain that I'm seeing a lot of "old stock" online, which makes me think the part number has been superseded.

cucvrus

Cole Hersee makes agood relay for the under hood relay. I also have used the GM relays that were used on the 1979- 1980 5.7 diesel glow plugs. I used snow plow relays. it is just a basic relay. The OEM CUCV one is very similar to a snow plow relay. Side by Side they are exact. Not much special about the relays. I can get you a number.DSCF3843.jpg3 different ones. One for a Honda Diesel tractor. One a HD Cole Hersee and one a Western snow plow relay they all work. I use them on CUCV's as needed. Or a few snow plows.

MarcusOReallyus

Those appear to be made overseas now and are listed on the "Bay" site that I can't link to
Do you mean eBay? It's perfectly okay to say eBay, and you can link to it all you want to. Like this, or even this.

The only thing you cannot do is to link to a live auction, whether it's on eBay or anywhere else.

Unless it's for bogus Rolexes, maybe.

As for the relay, if you don't like the NAPA ST-85, just look for any 4 pole relay that can handle 150 amps continuous duty, and is NOT GROUNDED THROUGH THE CASE.

HelluvaEngineer

Thanks, that gives me some options. I figure anything that can handle the current will work fine. That center one looks a *lot* like the imported ones. I suspect they are ubiquitous now. Sadly these are currently being sold as "Military-Vehicle-Army-Marine-5-4-ton-M1008-M1009-M1028-CUCV-Glow-Plug-Solenoid"

cucvrus

Does this help? 12v 80% duty Inductive load 150 A Resistive load 187A. That is the Honda, Cole Hersee. The other is sealed and has no rating on it or inside the instructions. They all work. I used them all. Not these but ones I bought when I bought these. I see things at sales and buy them. I just picked up a box of NAPA relays a week ago. They work also.

cucvrus

Brand:Standard Motor Products Manufacturer's Part Number:SS-591
Part Type:Relays
Product Line:Standard Motor Relays
Summit Racing Part Number:SMP-SS-591
I knew I had some of these at work also. These are a universal type of relay. Same a solenoid. Basically are a solenoid. Made in Mexico. Have them as glow plug relay on the Kobota. Used to have a wire in the dash that glowed red when the glow plugs were hot. Even seen one of them? I seen one put on a CUCV one time. I laughed.
glow plug indicator. .jpgIt came from Lancaster County PA. It worked but I removed it and converted it back to stock. Easier to sell and explain. Cool concept.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks