• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the injectors on an m1009 cucv ?

JAD561

I have 5 swollen glow plugs in my 84 m1009. I ordered a glow plug removal tool, and have seen posts regarding removing the injectors if any pieces of the glow plugs break off during removal.
Can anyone tell me how to remove the injectors ? I want to be prepared and ready, just in case.

kipman

This has been covered many times, try the search, remove the injector, 30mm socket I think, grab the plug and break off, use foreceps to remove the tip, use a flashlight, the tip will be in there, shopvac may work, forecep worked for me. forgot, push the broken tip into the chamber with a small punch.

AndrewH

I have a few heads off of trucks so it is like cheating a bit. You'll have to remove the high pressure lines enough to remove the injectors. With a working truck and the whole thing assembles you'll figure that one out.

I used some penetrating oil to aid removal.
the injectores unscrew fron the head similar to spark plugs,
There is a copper sealing ring. reccommend replacing.
Clean the head before removing the injector to keep jumk out.
This glow plug is not busted off but you get the idea, that is what you see of the plug after the injector is out.

Attachments

JAD561

I really appreciate the pic's and help. I did see posts regarding the injectors, but never knew how to access them. As soon as my removal tool and wellman glow plugs arrive, I will post my results. hopefully I won't have to remove the injectors, but if I do, I'll know what to look for. thanks again.

ralbelt

I did my glow plugs last winter all went well none swelled up. I now have all the injectors out and being rebuilt. 30mm is correct or 1 and 3/16 also fits. Remove the rear battery and battery tray makes life much easier on that side you will need to replace all the low pressure return hoses and hose clamps, easiest way to remove is with an ice pick type tool and pry them open. Some of the injector lines were tighter than the injector so the injector had to be held with an open end to break the fitting free. It took about 1.5 hrs total to take out.

JAD561

Got the glow plug removal tool today. Took about 1-1/2 hours to remove all damaged glow plugs, battery & rear tray, replace plugs and reassemble. The glow plug tool, from JJ & T was the best $ 79 that I ever spent on a tool. Just be sure to closely follow the directions that come with the tool. learned some lessons here. I put ac delco ac13g plugs in in September because they were readily available. BIG MISTAKE. The Delco plugs are garbage.They didn't last 6 full weeks. Spend the money & buy Wellamn glow plugs. They are all over E BAY. We paid $ 60. Start a spare parts box. We started buying extra relays and hard to get parts for spares. Buy a removal tool. You never know when you might need one. Most importantly, thanks to AndrewH for the advice and pictures. Din't break any plugs & didn't have to remove the injectors, but the pics showed me what I would be faced with if I did. Thanks also to Kipman. Hopefully, I can be a help to someone else in the future. We're back up and running !!!

allrevup

Whent thrue this with my #8 cylinder broken off GP tip, I used a surgical type swissers, my short 45* needle nose did not allow axcess into the chamber
. Read a tread in another site were fleet mechanics, routingly break the tips off and tap on it with a small chissel so that the curvature of the bent tip will not allow it to drop unto the cylinder and leave then in (I would not recomend it ) but if you need the truck ASAP worth considering. I reinstal AC13g but they swell far more then the Wellman 070's after having used both, the best reason to install the Wellmans.

Last edited:

doodaa

Hio Guy's...I am a new CUCV owner and am getting frustrated by the minute as I have yet to use my truck but for a 5 mile trip to buddie's shop for heat to work on it.I am cunfused about the glow plugs,I put in my own momentary switch and it works it put's 24v to glow plug wires now here's where I get confused I read about voltage stepping down to 12.Mine doesn't.Does that mean my resister is shot and i need to do wiring magic as described in other posts to just bring 12v to plugs?Thanks for the help I am sure I will get,you guy's have lots of good KARMA coming your way.Happy New Year
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks