• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought An M1009 Home Today

NMC_EXP

Bought a 1986 M1009 from GSA. According to the GSA rep the vehicle came from an Air Force or Air Guard unit in the Indianopolis area. Had been parked for about a year in a state surplus yard. Started with a jump from a 5 ton tractor. Drove it 120 miles to home without problems.

Engine bay and underneath are clean and dry. No evidence of fuel/oil/coolant cross contamination.

Lights and gages work with the exception of fuel gage which is stuck at 1/2 tank. The voltmeter never came off the bottom peg during the jump or trip home. However, the GEN 1 and GEN 2 lights never came on after the engine start even at idle.

Steering is a little loose. Brakes are nothing to brag about but are functional.

Body is straight and complete. Inside of rocker panels and front inner fenders have some rust thru. Tailgate lower edge has riveted patch.

Interior is OK. Floorboards are solid. Dash pad is shot but upholstery is pretty good.

Got it home and shut it down. 15 minutes later it started fine. 5 hours later it would turn over for a few seconds then nothing but starter solenoid clicking.

Off to buy two new batteries tomorrow.

I'll try to attach photos:

Regards

Jim

Attachments

topgun217

Sweet ride

I bid on what looks like the same unit. CONGRATS!! I'm still looking for my first MV; I've been watching G/L off and on for some time and bid when I can. How many days passed from the you won your bid and the time you were able to pick it up? I'v never won on G/L but I've heard if its your first time you have to wait almost 2 or 3 months, is that true?

Are you gonna do anything special or try and keep her original? I've seen lots of crazy pics of what can be done and they all looked awsome!

hitcb

hey guys new guy here i think i know you m1009 fiend haha anyways been looking into getting one for myself but i dont know where to start so i was hoping you guys could point me into the right direction.

1. The units i have been looking at don't have keys where may i find some if i get one of these?
2. They also all claim "does not start" now what are the chances that i am going to run into some major problems?

One of the blazers ive been looking at 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

Much thanks guys

NMC_EXP

I bid on what looks like the same unit. CONGRATS!!

Thank you sir - hope we knew what we were doing. This one was close enough I could go and eyeball it before bidding.

I'm still looking for my first MV

This is my second. Had a Dodge M37 but the building it was stored in burned to the ground.

How many days passed from the you won your bid and the time you were able to pick it up? I'v never won on G/L but I've heard if its your first time you have to wait almost 2 or 3 months, is that true?

This vehicle was sold by the General Services Admin. rather than Gov Liquidation. G/L requies you to apply for and receive and End Use Certificate (EUC) after winning the bid and before picking up the vehicle. I bought a trailer from G/L and the EUC took 2 or 3 weeks.

This auction ended on a Tuesday. Paid with a credit card on the GSA website Wednesday AM and had the paid receipt Wed. PM. Was free to pick it up at that point.

Are you gonna do anything special or try and keep her original?

I'll use it for my primary vehicle and plan to keep it pretty much original. Will probably paint it next year, thinking of flat 383 green all over with some black trim (wheels, brush guard...?). Probably use bedliner on the floor and add some insulation to control noise and heat. The noise level in the cab is kinda high but only one of the four wheels was balanced so the vibration was resonating the floor.

Keep looking and good luck! They're still out there.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

hey guys new guy here i think i know you m1009 fiend haha anyways been looking into getting one for myself but i dont know where to start so i was hoping you guys could point me into the right direction.

1. The units i have been looking at don't have keys where may i find some if i get one of these?
2. They also all claim "does not start" now what are the chances that i am going to run into some major problems?

One of the blazers ive been looking at 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

Much thanks guys

The CUCV's all used the same ignition key. A guy on ebay sells them or you ca have one made. A GM/Chevy dealer or locksmith can do it from the codes which are:

BLANK = B

BLIND CODE = 73Y2

CUTTING CODE = 313531

I had to get one made for this truck.

The staff at the Gov Liq facilities are not required to inspect the vehicles so I suspect their default answer is "running condition unknown" or "does not start" which maybe because there is no key. Some of the facilities will say that "vehicle driven into yard". That is a good sign.

The best thing you can do is inspect the vehicle before bidding. Get a key made and see if it will start. Check for important stuff which is missing or busted. These are often cannibalized to keep other units running. A guy I know bought an M1009 for $600. Was in great condition but missing the dashboard. Turned out to be a great vehicle after a year tracking down a complete dash/instrument cluster for it.

Buying this stuff from G/L and GSA can be more of a crapshoot than buying used on the open market.

Good luck.

Regards

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks