• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Khilding's Great New Adventure

Well it was a soggy cold day at Port Hueneme Naval Base, at least it started out that way. I had an email Thursday night from Devin (Djfreema) stating that Kevin (Khilding) was in town and was picking up his truck Friday morning,would I like to get together and help/watch/laugh/point/cry when he picked it up. Heck yeah! I wish I had someone to help me when I picked up my truck. Plus, I get to associate some faces to the text on the site.
After an early morning dentist appointment I phoned Devin and he was almost at the base. As I headed out it began pouring rain. It was raining pretty good on my way down there (I live about 20 minutes from the base). Great! We get snow here about once every 20 years and Kevin is going to drive the truck back to Arizona. He had to pick that 20 year anniversary. Snow forecast down to 1000 feet.
I met up with Devin and Kevin at the main gate to get a pass into the base. Hmmmmm. The rain is tapering off now and there is a patch of blue to the Northwest and moving this way. This is an omen!

We drove onto the base, me following Devin in his turned-up fuel Deuce running singles. That thing was quick! Really got up to speed in a hurry, and it was pouring out black smoke on acceleration - just like the Monster Truck pullers running with Diesels.
We pulled up to Kevin's truck and Devin dug right in checking fluids and I was asking Kevin if he wanted a rag and some carburetor cleaner to get the grin off his face. Kevin had been here for a few days tinkering with the truck and already fired it up so he knew it ran. It started hard the first time so Devin tightened up the injector lines and that seemed to help. Kevin used an air line that Devin had rigged up to the inside of the cab to check all his tires pressure. He noticed that the rt rear axle cover bolts were loose so he tightened them up. Ratz, one was stripped. That explains the presence of gear oil on the rim.
While Kevin and I were fiddling with the truck a guy from Reno came in to pick up a couple of trucks for Idaho Motor Pool. He fired up 2 of them and was ready to put one on the lowbed, (with a slide axle), when one died - out of fuel. Devin chained up the truck and dragged it out where the guy could winch it onto the lowbed.
I was checking out Devins truck. I really like the dual temp sensors in his truck, he has one on both sides of the turbo. Got that muffler thing going on and sounds real nice. Quiet! Pretty slick stuff. That Devin has everything. I wanna be like him when I grow up.
I had to get back to my shop and meet some customers in the afternoon so I left them as they were ready to hit the road. I shook everyone's hand, got a group picture and remarked how the blue sky had prevailed the whole time we worked on his rig. Did I mention that it must be an omen?
I have attached some pictures of the GL meeting and the proud new owner, Kevin.
Devin, it was a pleasure meeting you. I can't wait to go on convoy to Starbucks or something. :)

Welcome aboard the ship of green iron aficionados, Kevin. I hope you make it to Arizona without any major hiccoughs and also hope you’ll add to this when you get home.
Also, let us know how long you drove before you stopped and got earplugs!!! :shock:

God Speed and Good Luck.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Today was a blast. I finally got home about 4:30 just as it was starting to sprinkle. Kevin has a LOOOONG trip ahead but he got a real nice good running truck. He was able to do 60 no problem, right on my tail all along highway 126. Gary forgot to mention how he got in trouble for looking at a bunch of dueces that still belong to the military. Lucky they did'nt take him to the brig! We stopped by harbor frieght and got some earplugs and I almost bought that 1" impact but figured I better check with my wife first since I just spent $350 on a new turbo. It was nice to actually meet forum members in person, can't wait to do it again! :beer:

area52

Hopefully you and Devin can do it again when my EUC goes through and I get my truck. Looks just like Kevins but without a winch. I can't wait!!!

Kevin how was the trip?

Oh heck yeah, area52. Kevin mentioned someone else had a truck there.
Just let us know in advance to work our schedules out. I really enjoyed Kevin's excitement of a being a new owner and Devin's knowledge of things. Hopefully I'll have my axle seal replaced so I can bring my duece in along with Devin's.
Next weekend is St Patricks celebration (both mine and my fiance's family are Irish) so that weekend is shot to hell in a handbasket. :roll:

Said a little prayer for Kevin this am. I really hope you're doing ok Kevin.
I'll be he won't be able to talk to us with a straight face for awhile with that S.E.G. on his face he left with.

Devin, did you guys check that rear axle fluid level before he got on the road? I remember you wanting to do it.

carguy455

Hopefully Kevins road trip will have gone smoother than MY trip home with my old deuce , at least theres no chance he will be doing "gasoline shooters' by accident !!!

That truck rocks Kevin ! :) Enjoy ! :wink:

Keep us updated ! :!:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I left him in Filmore, Ca which is about 25miles from the base at 3:30pm and he drove through rush hour traffic on the 210 and 10 fwy in stormy weather. By 7:15 pm he had only gotten to the 10/15 interchange which normally would have taken 1 1/2 hours in regular traffic and a car. I think Arizona is 1hr ahead of Ca, so he got home around 2am Ca time and that gives him a 11-12 hour drive time at a steady 57mph. I think he is around the Phoenix area. Area52, We were going to try and pull your truck out alittle to access the batteries but ran short on time getting his truck ready and helping the truck driver load some of Idaho Motor pools trucks. We'll get your truck going when you come out here, all these trucks seem to have come from the same place and they all pretty much run,besides a few dead batteries.

area52

I was figuring on making a two day trip out of it. Spend one day to get to Needles by the river -California/Arizona border, then another day to get to New Mexico. If I average around 50- 55 MPH it will take me about 16 hours with no problems.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I made it,

I had alot of help from Devin (djfreema) and some great company from Gary (polverone).

The trip was long (436 miles), it snowed, rained and was cold. I've ordered a winterization kit from Saturn Surplus.

The truck drives great, steering is tight and drives straight. Does 57 at 2600 rpm with no problem. Out in the desert, the cruise control is great, I set the hand throttle at 57 and just kicked back (need to very careful though, the brake doesn't turn this one off). My IPod and Bose noise canceling headphones made a big diference as well. Engine ran at a constant 170 deg, oil at 70 lbs, good oil presure at idle as well, just above 30 lbs.

I'm very happy with my truck, everything works. It does need new tires, will be calling Berg in the morning.

I don't know what year it is, can't read anything on the dataplate, what can I look at to tell?

That's all for now,

Kevin

m.walker

Its cool hearing these stories especially when they end good , nice truck LOVE the dragon I bet you were grinning like the cat that ate the canary all the way home ( I know this cause I did too ! ) Well you got a real nice truck , welcome to the addiction ! Mark

Kevin,
I couldn't wait to get on the site hoping you posted a victory return home. Thanks for not letting me down. :D
Well I guess you got your Deuce driving experience down pretty good after 12 hours straight in that thing.
Too bad you were on the road on that day and time on 210 Fwy. That thing is ugly on Friday afternoon - espcially given our freakish weather that day.

I hope we have an event out here in the southwest so we can all get together with our rigs and swap some stories/lies, truth stretching. :)

FSBruva

khilding-

Check the dates stamped on your axles. If the three are somewhat close, then it is likely your truck was built along with them (as opposed to getting all three replaced, conicidentally with 3 of the same age axles). I think there is also some info stamped on the frame, but maybe I am thinking serial numbers. Can anyon else help?

Matt

I was checking the right frame rail on Kevin's truck and found nothing, same as my truck - nada.
The DMV actually told me what year I had. I was thinking it was a '71 and tried to register it that way. After a 20 minute phone call by the employee there to the state capitol, they told me it was a '73.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks