• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1008 1,100 miles in two days...

91W350

Out Geocaching again, put 1,100 miles on the beast in two days. I found some pretty historic spots and saw a lot of beautiful country. This is one fine running old Chevy. Not a glitch in the whole trip, back roads, highways, trails and Interstate, it just gobbled up the miles....almost 19 MPG this trip! Some photos of the truck and my dog along the way. It was relaxing and fun! Glen

Attachments

91W350

I changed the ignition lock so it was different than the rest of the CUCVs around and put in a set of glow plugs. Changed the oil and the coolant, put in a new set of glow plugs and drove it. It will be close to a quart low in 3,000 miles. This one is not as easy on fuel or as loud as my first one. We even took a little spin down Route 66. Glen

Attachments

allrevup

Kudos to you and companion on your journeys! Glad to read that you average 19 MPG.
I did as well a couple times during long trips a few years back, when largelly stock with the OEM A/T tires. Now with crappy Diesel even with additives, a few hundred extra pounds (and less aerodinamic) Add-on's, I am happy to see 14-16 MPG. If I'am patient and drive it like a railroad or a ship.

Last edited:

91W350

My first one would break 20 pretty regularly if you stayed under 50 mph. This one will not do that. This was the best it has done on a trip of this type though. I am hoping my EUC will come back soon so I can go get my M-1009. The engine noise on this truck has gone up a bunch in the last 2500 miles. I do not mind at all if the mileage will come up with it. This truck had almost no diesel knock when running above and idle when I first got it. Now you can hear it into the midrange. Hopefully, it will keep improving. Glen

Last edited:

allrevup

Hello Glen. Your "on the road" 20 MPG or more for a M1008, N/A 6.2 and the stout but power sapping 3 speed TH400 and 4.56 gears is Very Good and unusual. Most SS members seem to average 11-14. Not sure of their driving, terrain and modifications.
For the M1008, I ended with after the build 14-16 MPG is pretty good and much better then my Red truck 11-13 MPG with a 5.7 LT1-P running premium Shell (93 octane locally) and octane boosters, it actualy robs MPG for the sake of a more complete burn(=power) and longevity.
I had open my M1008 air intake housing with a duplicate hole in the driver side and for a while had a DIY Ram-Air and premium filter, the power seem a bit better but it did not change the MPG, I keep the rest of the housing intake intact as I did not want to risk water down my intake. Even with the Ram air set up, the noise was higher and now with out the air-ducks is too loud for me to notice any mechanical noises out of the norm, The talk and clime of fuel prices back up to $4.00+ per gallon in the near future stinks...

AJMBLAZER

I've heard installing the hood insulation like the civy trucks got helps cut down on the interior engine noise. I'm going to do this next spring or summer when I have Big Ugly back. My civy K5 sure has a lot less directly heard engine noise.

91W350

Oooohhhhh.. 11-14 would kill me... I do live in a relatively state though and I know if I push 60 it drops to 14-16 on this truck. I also accelerate very gently and try to start coasting early to stop. I am hoping my M1009 is better on fuel. If not, I may look into a 4 or 6 cyl Cummins for it.

allrevup

Thanks AJMBLAZER. I did not think of that.
I had seal or known chevy cab leaks, replaced door & window seals (the vent windows are a PITA) and wheater stripps, added the artic insulation undermatt and replace the HD rubber matt. That made a "HUGE" difference, untill I opened the Air cleaner houssing not as bad as originaly but loud during long rides. "A good excuse for NO radio and NO talk"
Next time around. I am goin to look for 2 Civilian N/A 6.2-6.5 pre filter silencers, and try installing the air intake openings on the rear of the hood, towards the cold Cowl-Air preassure, if the big plastis things fit and somehow work. I cheated and mounted 2 large oppening air intake nozzles for 1981-1985 MB'z 300TD (free) on the top of the raddiator support, they have water drains, the diametter work well and used plastic reusable mounting pins (no holes needed)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks