• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Recent M1008 Purchase

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I've been working on getting this truck for about 3 months now. As it turns out, I was able to grab it on the way to the GA rally. Drug it there and back home so it's here now. It's an 86 M1008 with about 89,000 miles showing. No rust to speak of with the exception of some surface areas. Small dent on the upper left side of bed. The troop seats were stripped of the wood and fiberglass was added to the backs. Enough fiberglass material was included to finish the seat bottoms and they are now done. It's complete and unmolested right down to the jack and such behind the seat. I'm very pleased with my purchase and it's getting driven alot! Attached are a few pics from the cell phone.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good! How do you like that canvas seat cover? Does the green get on your clothes? A rust free truck any older than 3-5 years old, is a luxury up here! I enjoy driving the M1008, a lot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the green gets on my clothes, I've not noticed it yet, then again, I wear old BDUs most of the time. I love the cover and it smells great. The only problem is the strapping system isn't that great. I'm going to punch a bunch of grommets in it and string it to keep it in place. I'm very pleased with this one for sure. Put new Halogen headlights in tonight and it's even better.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the seat cover? Was it from JT?

Halogen sealed beams?

Next you'll be installing those binky/blingy lights, like JW!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seat cover was from JT. Fits real nice. I did use sealed beams this time. Seriously considering E-Codes with 55/100W burners. No bling lighting yet, backups maybe. Wished Captain would have showed up with the 37" radials at the rally. Lift and HMMWV rolling stock may be next.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to put 37" humvee tires on ours. I am still confused if I need to do 4 or 6" lift and what brand to use. I don't plan to do much if any, off-roading.(just after better cruising speed/mileage)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks