• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

primary fuel filter help

rizzo

I took the fuel filter (canister on frame under drivers feet) off today and it was pretty dirty. Non of the filters I got matched. So I went to NAPA and we couldn't match anything up. The filter number is M-3962

poppop

The chart here on site says NAPA 3511. I changed all mine on my M54 dump with NAPA filters. Check the chart, it has lots of information, like the NAPA gaskets won't work but get John Deere M96t or NAPA 5221 or 5406. These are for the secondary filters.

SixBuy

Good Gosh rizzo,
I think that's the same stuff that ate part of Chicago before the Army beat it down with flamethrowers!
And the truck was still running???
That filter looks like the one out of my M35A2 and the Napa filter fit although I believe it looked a little different
from the original. Baldwin also makes a fit but the gaskets are different.
Good luck!

rizzo

the truck didn't run. I think it sat for a long time.
the Napa filters I have one looks the same size but the hole in the middle is too big.

SixBuy

As I recall, that's the way mine was too. But I seem to remember there was a reason why it worked anyway!
Sorry, I've slept since then. The exploded view of the filter cannister ought to help...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That has to be the wrost looking filter I have ever seen......

rmgill

Yaay, fuel tank sludge. It took two filter changes on my 813 and a siphoning most of the fuel out into a filter to get that all cleared up. Fuel went back into the tank after being run through some fine cloth to filter it again. Interestingly fine cloth seems to catch the water and as more water is absorbed by the filter it slows down the filtration of the filter.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hole in the middle that looks too big should work. The concave washer that sits on the cotter pin that goes through the shaft is what seals on the filter. And the cork seals on the filter housing on the top.
The napa filter is a wix, the wix # is 33511.
Make sure the washer lip is facing up on the bolt shaft so it will bite into the cork. If you put the washer lip down it won't seal.
You really should change the filters on the drivers side of the block also. Wix#33512. And i would clean out the fuel tanks and clean the pickup screen in the lift pump and transfer pump. Before you loose the injector pump.

rizzo

CaptainRPM said:
if its a 813 with the Cummins the filter number from napa is 3401(napa part number) for fuel filter its 45 bucks i just changed mine

the 3401 is just a hair too big. But thanks for the help anyway.
I think the 3401 would fit my M810 with the cummins. It looks about the right size.

rizzo

ken said:
The hole in the middle that looks too big should work. The concave washer that sits on the cotter pin that goes through the shaft is what seals on the filter. And the cork seals on the filter housing on the top.
The napa filter is a wix, the wix # is 33511.
Make sure the washer lip is facing up on the bolt shaft so it will bite into the cork. If you put the washer lip down it won't seal.
You really should change the filters on the drivers side of the block also. Wix#33512. And i would clean out the fuel tanks and clean the pickup screen in the lift pump and transfer pump. Before you loose the injector pump.
I pulled the two other filters and they look like the first one. I will replace those I have the right filters. I see what your saying about the frame filter. they had one at napa that was the right size but the center hole was too big.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the hole in the middle too big for the bottom washer? The filter will be very loose on the bolt shaft. you will have to center it on the washer to line it up in the filter housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks