• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12" bowl Vs. domed design centrifuge

Yohan

Sorry for all the Q's lately about this...

Simple Centrifuge told me:

"[our bowl is] 8 inches, with our new dome design, we are 4 times more efficient than our open bowl design."

There is now a 12" centrifuge on the market for slightly less that the Simple Cent. set-up.

My question is this: undertanding that Simple Cent. compares their 8" bowl design to their open bowl design to rate cleaning efficiency, when comparing the two products (8" closed bowl against the 12" design), is one "more efficient" of "better" than the other? I'm interested in the design of the dome Vs. the larger diameter bowl. Would one be more desireable to use that the other? Any thoughts or opinions from those more learned than I? :-D

Divemaster920

Banned
The "Dome" design would be the better one. It allows the oil to stay in the centrifuge longer and has greater "g's" applied. And it would be easer to turn on the lathe.

Yohan

Thanks!

As I understand it, the larger the radius of the bowl, the more G-forces that are created. I guess you'd have to know the exact RPM of each bowl to know, but is it possible that the benefits of an 8" domed bowl could be negated by the larger 12" open bowl???? :?: I don't know if the differences in performance between designs would be miniscule or significant. I couldn't find the post again, but someone in this forum works for a place that makes and/uses large industrial centrifuges and said he could calculate the G's of a bowl if he knew the RPM I believe.

avengeusa

the larger bowls make more G's which pulls crap out of the fluids faster

but I have seen one guys 12 inch bowl which spins 1800 rpm.... an 8 incher at 3500 rpm will do just as good of a job

the domed bowl just has a smaller opening in the center, it holds more volume and helps the oil to dwell in the bowl loner for cleaner oil..... this can be accomplished also by making the lip of the bowl wider and closer to the center of the bowl, but then they really get hard to machine and clean

a 12 inch bowl spinning 3500 is going to make a huge amount of g force, I am building some 12 inchers now, and will be working on speed increases to 7000 rpm and beyond in the future

but even a smaller 6-8 inch bowl will clean oils just fine, just keep the flow rate down and let the machine clean the oil, I have a 8 inch and a 10 incher right now, the 8 is on loan, but I run them at 3500rpm, and i will set the flow to 8-12 gph and let it run for a few hours and clean a whole barrel of oil

rotor speed, and rotor size are the things that affect the g-force the most

Yohan

Thank you for your input, Tim. With the motor you're using and the 10 inch bowl, do you know how many RPM's it is pulling and can anyone calculate the G Force of that set-up? Just curious. I didn't plan on running more than about 5-6 gallons per hour or less even, to get my oil really clean. I'm in no hurry and all I have to do is set it and forget it.

Yohan

Thanks ETHOS, I somehow didn't catch that on his site. I just purchased Tim's 10" turn-key centrifuge and will post a review when I get my "plant" set up. I'm trying to get my Deuce shipped home now...

got my WT fuge last Thursday. UPS did bang it up a tad, but I just cut the hose and shortened it up 3 inches. The box looked like he kicked it off the truck at 55.
Just piddling around with it and it does a very good job. I am not able to heat the oil just yet, but running it at 3.5 to 4 gal an hour is working fine. I even ran the wmo through a 1 micron paint filter with the oil going right through it. If it is like a computer on dial-up, it is an excersize in patience. I do not see how you can go wrong with one of these units.

Matthew

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks