• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NON-Wisconsin Registration & Use Information Wanted

undysworld

I'm looking for help.

You probably have read about the current fiasco in Wisconsin over titling and registering ex-military vehicles. If not, here's a link with some info: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-wis-dot-v-ex-military-vehicles-ab-592-a.html

It turns out, the WisDOT doesn't have a clue as to how, or if, other US states allow ex-military vehicles to register. I'm trying to collect data to show to WisDOT. (As my other posts show, I am trying to convince WisDOT that most US states allow owners the option to register with Collector plates or with normal Truck or Farm plates.)

If you live outside of Wisconsin, I can use your help.

Here's what I'm looking for: Your Name & Address, Vehicle info, the type of license plate you have along with a description of any operating restrictions you have, and any additional info as you think is needed. (Some guys have even emailed photos of their license plate!)

I know the internet is a questionable place to give out any info. I understand that. I'm just making the request. If you feel more comfortable sharing it via US mail, email me and I'll shoot you my home address and phone number.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Paul Underwood

tmbrwolf

You may be able to internet search for each states laws online, I did a quick search for Kansas vehicle registration, when I got to the Department of Revenue web site searched for "military vehicle" and it came up with several hits. In Kansas if it is over 35 years old it can be registered as an antique vehicle, there are no driving / operating restrictions. to get that tag you must own at least one other vehicle registered with a regular registration, if the vehicle is less than 35 you register it with a regular tag, or a tag according to it's GVW (a 2 1/2 ton could have a 24M tag it's highway GVW) both my M37 and M38 are registered "antique" while my M880 is registered with a veteran tag as are my and my wifes daily drivers, the big advantage for the antique tag is the one time registration fee and then property taxes of $17.00 annually.

undysworld

Tmbrwolf,

Thanks. I've done some searching of DOT sites, especially neighboring states, to compare their policies for registration of ex-mils.

But I'm finding that the elected officials don't often have the time to really read that sort of stuff through thouroughly. I point 'em to it, and highlight the details, but it doesn't always stick.

On the other hand, they seem to respond pretty well to a personal report. The question was raised during last Thursday's public hearing of how other ex-mil owners were able to register their trucks in other states and what restrictions were imposed. The DOT gal didn't know.

That's why I've asked individuals to email me with their own details about their truck's registration. With a name, address, make/model, and plate type/restrictions, it's a much more personal testimony.

Truth is, I don't know how much good it's going to do to walk in their offices with a stack of letter. But I'm going to try. I will be talking with the bill's author and the Trans Committe chair's offices tomorrow. They've indicated that they're willing to talk.

So anyway, if anyone can help, please write. Thank you.

Paul Underwood

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am happy to share, but, do you think this MIGHT open up a can o worms and the rest of the states follow WI?

Crash_AF

I don't think so, CO is getting ready to pass some MV friendly legislation that will allow us to use bumper numbers to replace license plates like TX so most states are MV friendly... someone in WI just got some bug up their butt to harass people and I hope they get SPANKED soon.

Later,
Joe

saddamsnightmare

December 6th, 2009.

Undysworld:

Check on Olive Drab.com for information on Texas registration laws (it will be under registration in Texas). My M35A2 is registered here as a 2-1/2 to 5 ton pickup truck, and my Unimog is a 1-1/4 ton pickup truck. Texas exempts them from annual inspection due to their being ex military vehicles, but I and the other owners keep our trucks up as it is our tails riding in them. Insurance is required, and I carry about 300,000 to 500,000 on them, as they are slow speed vehicles not prone to causing problems (rollovers &C). If registered as a "Former Military Vehicle", Texas exempts them from inspections and does not require that they have license plates, though the license fee for the class or type vehicle must be paid annually,and either the hood numbers or the bumper markings are used as the registration numbers. Mine carries a typical Texas "Truck" plate due to the tare weights and grosses, but I did not know about the exemption from carrying plates at the time they were registered, so they are stuck with these plates untill I remove them from Texas jurisdiction (the plates stay with the vehicles here, even when sold). No clearance lights are needed, and most former militarty trucks do not carry license plate lights (due to that not being original equipment and the plates are reflectorized).
West Virginia was similar except they did require a plate and annual inspection, but most inspection stations tended to be general on the inspections because they did not want to tangle too deeply with systems that they had no knowledge of.

I hope that this helps some, because the boyos in Wisconsin are likely to get worked over by the DMV personnel.....

Good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

tmbrwolf

As in my earlier post a military vehicle that is less that 35 years old would be registered under a normal registration in Kansas.

This link will get you to the basic Kansas statutes addressing antiques:

Statutes

Look under chapter 8 specifically: 8-166, 8-167

I think having copy's of the statutes from different states would go a long way towards showing what other states allow, the unfortunate fact here except for "antique military vehicle", military vehicles are not addressed under any of the other basic vehicle statues. Of course different states define an antique vehicle in different ways / ages.

CatMan

Other States HMV registration laws

Florida, Texas, Ohio and Kansas all have similar Historic Military Vehicle laws that include restrictions on use and are similar to the bill we have proposed in Wisconsin as Assembly Bill AB592.

The information has been downloaded previously. The documents have been sent to the Wisconsin Legislature's Transportation Committtee and CC's to the DOT in response to the question asked during the hearing last Thursday.

Cat Man

attackone

Here in the wonderful ????????? state of New Jersey MV can be registered with regular plates or antique plates depends on what you want. The only restrictions I know is mileage and that is by the insurance company if you go the antique route.

Sgt. Sam

Reg.in Idaho

I gues I should have said that you have to have front and back plates attached. And must have insurance. Of corse all lights must worke wich includes turn signel and stop lights. Then you are free to drive antwhare You Want. And the rear plate must lighted.

Have fun Sgt. San

undysworld

CatMan,

Can I assume from your post that the other 46 US states DON'T have those laws requiring restricted use?

I've gotten emails from the following states attesting to their citizens owning and operating ex-mil vehicles WITHOUT having to register as restricted use vehicles. These states have allowed NORMAL registration which allows NORMAL use of that vehicle, and the list is growing:

NY, VT, NC, WA, KS, AZ

I'm not pushing for you to lose the right to register your historically accurate ex-military vehicle as a "collector" and enjoy the low registration fees. Have at it. But for the thousands of us who want/need to use our trucks as trucks, any bill which restricts our use to parades and display simply doesn't suffice.

Jeff, as a major supporter of Rep. Zigmunt's bill, I ask you to support our use too. As you're aware, there is growing support for normal registration of HMVs in Wis. There is also growing dissatisfaction with DOT amongst our lawmakes. They are sick and tired of DOT throwing their weight around. You supporting our need for a normal registration option could make the difference.

To everybody else, please keep forwarding your info to me. Your help matters.

Paul

stumps

Hmm? You should also have MD in your list. They allow MV's to be registered any way you want. Historic, Street Rod, Farm, Personal, and Commercial.

-Chuck

saddamsnightmare

December 7th, 2009.

Texas permits regular registration as trucks, and more limited registration useage (mileage limited) as Antique or Former military Vehicles; West Virginia permits regular registration as Commercial ("K"); Truck ("B") both subject to inspection but no mileage restrictions, and "Antique", no inspection and mileage restricted.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add SC to the list. Actually, in SC anything over 10K GVW has to be registered as commercial if it does not qualify for RV or farm plates. We would like to change that to add HMV or get occasional use Mil Veh under the RV rules.

tmbrwolf

Florida, Texas, Ohio and Kansas all have similar Historic Military Vehicle laws that include restrictions on use and are similar to the bill we have proposed in Wisconsin as Assembly Bill AB592.

The information has been downloaded previously. The documents have been sent to the Wisconsin Legislature's Transportation Committtee and CC's to the DOT in response to the question asked during the hearing last Thursday.

Cat Man

Can you shoot me the statute that states Kansas restrictions? The only restrictions I know of are for "tracked" vehicles which cannot be registered for "on highway" use

undysworld

Hi Gents,
Thanks for following this thread. If any of you wouldn't mind sending me your own personal info on an email (or US mail too), it would be a lot more convincing when I take it to the capitol. I can refer to comments on forums, but it's seen as just hearsay, essentially. If you don't feel ok with giving out your info, that's ok.

But the stuff you're talking about is exactly what I'm needing.

Name/address
vehicle, state license in, any restrictions on use and choice of license

Thanks again.

Paul Underwood

Stan45

Paul In ND we just got our DOT Laws lightened up to allow 40 yr old MVs registered with hood numbers. All other MVs can be registered with PIONEER plates (40 yr or older, no restrictions). COLLECTOR plates (30 yr or older, parade, maintenance and club functions only) Both these are permanent plates costing $10, Custom plates are more expensive. If you truck is under 30 yrs you have to get WEIGHT plats, similar to big rigs pricy by our standards. OK I have a M-35 with pioneer and a M818 with collector (not old enough). Most our club members big trucks fall in to these 2 areas. A couple of our club members have Farm plates on their 5 tons, that has its own restriction.

Personally I think you’d have to be acting the total fool before we’d even get questioned by our Law Enforcement, State, Country or Local. I have made numerous trips around the State and get nothing but waves.

Please PM for more info

eisenhe

Non-Wisc Registration

For what it's worth, I'm a WI resident with a 1986 HMMWV project. I took two weeks going to the DMV and getting their runaround, which concluded in "it can't be done" despite having a California title ready to convert.
So I simply provided my paperwork to my father, who lives in Michigan. Badabing, badaboom, a half hour later I had plates and a title. All WI DMV did was prevent themselves from earning many years worth of annual fees, etc. Good work people!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks