• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

90W GL-1 as fuel?

agood1

I just changed the oil in my transmission and was wondering if I could use the old oil as fuel? 90W seems a little heavy to flow smoothly, and it is mineral oil based so not sure if it will burn. Tried to light some of it with a torch and could not get it to burn, just smoked.

Thanks

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mineral oil is a product of petroleum, yes it's thick, but if you strain it first (get the chunks out...a good filtering would be best) and mix it with some diesel to thin it out, it'll burn just fine...

burn baby burn!!!

moleary

Yikes! Diesel has a flashpoint of 143 degrees F. 90W has a flashpoint of 440 degrees F...

That seems like a big difference... That doesn't mean it won't work though.. There is also a much higher flashpoint for vegetable oil, (600+ degrees F according to wikipedia), and I think people run that in their MFs, don't they?

Biodiesel has a 260 degree F flashpoint by the way...

Please don't take this post as anything other than disclosure of flashpoints - I know nothing about the capability of a MF engine.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good points moleary, but we're not talking about a whole tank of 90w here....we're dealing with about 1 1/2 gallons from his tranny. Put it in your tank of diesel and run it!!!!!

agood1

Cool, I was wondering how I was going to keep it separate from my other waste motor oil. If I mix all my waste oil together, filter it, then mix it with some diesel fuel...it should run fine....right?

Jake0147

Not only will it run fine, it will run EXCELLENT on the used gear oil. A bit of gas or diesel fuel to thin it a bit so it goes through the filters easier is highly recommendable. As is pre-straining or filtering to the best of your abilities of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks