• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flies in oil

Mark3395

I had my helper drain the oil out of an LDT 465 engine saved from a scrapped truck. I was worried that water got into the engine because the valve covers were off.

He reported a quantitiy of flies in the oil.

Years ago I changed the oil in my car but didn't get around to getting rid of the WMO for several months. When I did I found many live, fat maggots and dead flies in the bottom of the oil pail. I concluded that flies laid their eggs in the oil, maggots can thrive in oil, but when they metamorpose into flies they can't get out and die.

So I have several questions.

1. Has anybody else noticed flies and maggots in oil?
2. Are flies and maggots lubricious or detrimental in WMO?
3. Do flies and maggots increase mileage?
4. Have you ever found them in your filter/centrifuge?

Scarecrow1

We in the old days used to drop a little oil in standing water to prevent misquetos from forming ,so now I'm at a loss as to your findings LOL.... Oh well you never know ...:razz:

XM 2742

They don't call it "multi fuel" for northing. Dead flys will increase mileage as well as possum fat or bees knees. Think green.......lol

chgofiveo

I had my helper drain the oil out of an LDT 465 engine saved from a scrapped truck. I was worried that water got into the engine because the valve covers were off.

He reported a quantitiy of flies in the oil.

Years ago I changed the oil in my car but didn't get around to getting rid of the WMO for several months. When I did I found many live, fat maggots and dead flies in the bottom of the oil pail. I concluded that flies laid their eggs in the oil, maggots can thrive in oil, but when they metamorpose into flies they can't get out and die.

So I have several questions.

1. Has anybody else noticed flies and maggots in oil?
2. Are flies and maggots lubricious or detrimental in WMO?
3. Do flies and maggots increase mileage?
4. Have you ever found them in your filter/centrifuge?
Ive heard of flies in the ointment but never flies in the oil...Thats news to me!!

Westex

Been studying this trying to think of a true answer for you; with the valve covers off, and the possibility that the prior owner ran all kinds of rank oil, WVO, whatever, the flies would have come to open valve covers and laid their eggs which would have become pupae, and voila! You have maggots and flies which fell down into the sump. At least you found no fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Mark3395

The truck came straight from the government. I've got a couple more that also have the cover removed and have been exposed to flies, so we'll check them out too.

Those maggots I found in the Toyota oil were big, fat, and lively.

Surely somebody else has come across this.

Wonder how they'll come out of the centrifuge.

Mark

colin455

When I was a kid we bought a farm tractor that the previous owner had used a biodegradeable type of oil. Can't remember what it was but a version of "whale oil" might come to mind. Anyways, it had turned rancid in the summer heat and we had to drain it. Didn't hurt the motor, just smelled like rotten meat. Could be that.
Could also be the previous owner was a flake too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks