• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

i think my tranny went out

bond024

I think my tranny went out today. I was driving down the highway and the tranny started making some loud noices. I have been noticing for the past week that when I have been driving it that there has been a large whine comming from the tranny when I let off the gas expecially in 5th, but when i am on the gas it goes away, i think today was the final day. I got off the highway and back to my house. When I was sitting there there was a awful sound of parts flinging around in there.:-(

The weird thing is when i have a clutch down to the floor there is no sound from the tranny. When i put it in neutral and let the clutch up that horrible sound comes back and the truck was to still move forward in neutral. Crazy. I don't think it is the clutch but something with the tranny.

I went an looked under the truck and noticed that there was plug missing right where i believe where the clutch is, right where the tranny bolts to engine. Is there supposed to be fluid in there? There was a little bit of fluid
right around the drain hole that was missing also. the drain hole i am talking about is right infront of the liitle square plate on the bottom.

I thought the tranny was bullet proof? I am trying to think what my next move is going to be. Should I find a used tranny or rebuild the one i have?

Snarky

Mine made a noise like that before I replaced it, it wasn't a bad gear or anything.

The tip of the upper main shaft that sits in the needle bearings behind the input shaft, had a groove worn into it. It was rattling around causing the terrible noise, because it could no longer spin smoothly.

If you're transmission shifts and goes through all 5+1 gears, it's probably noisy but fine. If you're missing 2nd and/or 3rd then it's usually a sheared keys off the main shaft. If it's hard to shift gears, probably synchros.

You should pull the transmission tunnel top off, and remove the upper part of the transmission to inspect it. If everything looks more or less intact then you should probably rebuild it if the noise is that big of a deal. If it's just a problem with the upper assembly there are people here who can provide them, you don't even really have to take the transmission out of the truck.

If you're like me and find that all your synchros are worn out and the lower gears dont look that great, then you might want to opt for a rebuilt one from boyce or whoever, and then overhaul your transmission later at your leisure for a spare.

Inspect it from the top and do the "does it look a spoon in a blender" test first before deciding.

bond024

It sound likr just how you explained it. It does go threw all the gears. The only thing that makes me weird it that when it is in neutral it still moves. I will pull the top off. Wheet the gasket for thre do i that?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snarky you are being really optimistic. If the truck moves forward when in neutral, the transmission has some serious issues.

Bondo, if the racket goes away when you mash the clutch, then you can eliminate the clutch as a problem. Nothing is spinning in the transmission when you mash the clutch.

ctmustang

I wander if maybe a bent shifter fork could be partially engaging gears when in neutral. It may be time for an inspection like stated above and maybe a good used one>:roll:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my tranny went out today. I was driving down the highway and the tranny started making some loud noices. I have been noticing for the past week that when I have been driving it that there has been a large whine comming from the tranny when I let off the gas expecially in 5th, but when i am on the gas it goes away, i think today was the final day. I got off the highway and back to my house. When I was sitting there there was a awful sound of parts flinging around in there.:-(

The weird thing is when i have a clutch down to the floor there is no sound from the tranny. When i put it in neutral and let the clutch up that horrible sound comes back and the truck was to still move forward in neutral. Crazy. I don't think it is the clutch but something with the tranny.

I went an looked under the truck and noticed that there was plug missing right where i believe where the clutch is, right where the tranny bolts to engine. Is there supposed to be fluid in there? There was a little bit of fluid
right around the drain hole that was missing also. the drain hole i am talking about is right infront of the liitle square plate on the bottom.

I thought the tranny was bullet proof? I am trying to think what my next move is going to be. Should I find a used tranny or rebuild the one i have?
I will help anyway I can. I will look around for a spare trans.

mckeeranger

I agree with the others, pop the top and have a look inside. Then take it from there.

On the drain plug: The hole you're talking about under the bell housing is normal. There should be another plug right beside it. ( see pic ) If you are going to be fording deep water, you would move that plug from where it is, to the open hole you observed. The hole the plug is in now is just a place to store it. It doesn't go all the way through.

Attachments

Last edited:

armadillofz1

same here. especially in 5th gear my m35a2 has a loud whine. at maintenance throttle it goes away, but pretty loud accellerating or decelerating. noticed slight leak on tranny too. seems to be coming from high up on the case. i'll clean it up and try to narrow it down tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks