• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Test driving & buying a Russian T-72

GoldComet6

Ever wanted to test drive and then buy a T-72? This Automobile Magazine author tests a T-72 and sees what's involved in buying one and getting it home.

Link to story....
How to Buy a Tank - Latest News, Features, and Reviews - Automobile Magazine

You'll enjoy the story......
Last fall, I had the strange urge to see if I could buy a tank. I knew that owning a tank in America was politically incorrect, not to mention a possible issue with the folks at Homeland Security. But I put those concerns aside for a while, because I was in the Czech Republic. First, I wanted to see if I could buy a tank. Then I'd worry about getting it home.
I went to my girlfriend's father for help. He's an aircraft engineer with a fondness for abandoned military airports, where Czechs like to sit around roasting pigs, drinking beer, flying old planes, and driving dated tanks and troop carriers inherited from the Soviets. To my question about a tank, not missing a beat, he said, "I will call Mr. Jary."
Soon afterward, I met Vladislav Jary in a restaurant, but his tank-dealing days were behind him. Jary filled me in on the halcyon days, the early 1990s, when so many Soviet tanks littered the Czech countryside that you could pick one up for a small bribe. He'd collected a few tanks, he said, and then hired two military mechanics to keep them running. Chuckling, he said, "Sometimes they stole parts from their previous employer, the Czech army." Jary had an auto bazaar in Prague, where he lined up his tanks, their cannons aimed at Prague Castle. The brazen, symbolic act, which probably would have pleased Kafka, drew customers, journalists, and TV crews to the bazaar. "One day," Jary said, smiling nostalgically, "a big black man in a leather coat crawled up on my tanks. His coat shifted, and I spotted a gun. Later, on TV, I saw him with Bill Clinton. Your president, he was here playing saxophone with our president Havel." Apparently, the Secret Service agent was making sure that the tanks were disarmed. "You can never be too sure," said Jary. And then he sent me to a former competitor he called "Mr. Dirty," having forgotten his real name. "He may still have some tanks."
At his bazaar in the countryside, Mr. Dirty had a weathered MiG-15 fighter jet parked on the roof of a truck, old troop haulers, and lots of long-haul rigs. But no tanks. He didn't care to have his picture taken, thank you very much, and his eyes darted around like I was a foreign spy come to pry secrets out of him. Still, I liked the guy. Mr. Dirty was straight from central casting, with his unkempt appearance, a Bluetooth headset jutting out of matted hair, a pile of keys on an otherwise empty desk, and a dirty Humvee parked out front with Bazar Roudnice identification stenciled on it. When I asked if he could drive a tank, he delivered a surprisingly poetic response. Nodding yes, restraining a grin, he said, "It is quite strong. It is beautiful, all those tons."
Elsewhere, when I finally stood on the turret of a T-72 - the Russian-built tank that is sort of the gazelle of modern combat tanks - beautiful was not the word that sprang to mind. Dangerous was more like it. But then, danger has its own undeniable beauty.
I was at Excalibur Army, a twenty-first-century arms dealer located an hour east of Prague. After Mr. Jary and Mr. Dirty, I hadn't expected to find much here, but I was wrong. There were machine shops, a paint shop, storage sheds, the aura of industrial enterprise. Rows of rusty and battered war machines on flat tires stood here; shiny, rebuilt ones that looked ready to roll were parked over there. Lubo Doshkov, a friendly young Bulgarian who speaks five languages, showed me enough military equipment to launch a war in a third-world country; introduced me to half an acre of T-34s, the legendary Russian tank that hammered Hitler's Panzer divisions in World War II; and asked me a question that gave me a little thrill, even if it concerned an item not on my shopping list: "Are you interested in a MiG-21?"
No. By then, I was interested only in what we stood on, or balanced on - Doshkov was on the long barrel, arms crossed. That is, a T-72.
In case you don't know your tanks, the T-72 was the Cold War tank of the Russians. It's lean and fast; one was reportedly clocked at 68 mph alongside a German autobahn. The main gun is a 125-mm cannon about fifteen feet long that can be fired on the move, accuracy guaranteed by a laser range finder. There's an infrared spotlight, an NBC package (that's your comprehensive nuclear, biological, and chemical protection), and a boron-lined turret to block nuclear radiation. The engine in late-model T-72s is a multifuel V-12, supercharged and water-cooled, rated at 840 hp. Cruising speed is 25 mph, depending on the terrain, and range is 300 miles, although auxiliary fuel tanks push that past 500. There is also an amphibious package that includes a peri-scope and a snorkel; it gives you the option of submarining in sixteen feet of water, although the turret might leak.
The T-72 I stood on was freshly painted, fully armed, and combat ready. "It is going to America," Doshkov said with a sly smile. "It is bought by the U.S. Army."
That's when the sense of absurdity began to kick in. Completely rebuilt, with smoke-grenade launchers, an antiaircraft-gun mount, and rubber skirts over the treads to keep down mud spatter, this Russian tank - or a few micron-sized slivers of it, anyway - had been bought with my tax dollars. And yes, the amiable salesman told me, I could own one just like it.
A bit incredulous, I said, "Can a guy like me get a tank like this into the United States?"Doshkov wasn't sure. "Just yesterday," he said, "I sold an older Russian tank, a T-55, to a collector in New Zealand. Nothing needed to be done to it." The cannon didn't need to be spiked or cement poured into the engine compartment or ugly little windows cut out of the turret, defacing the tank, to satisfy some nation's security rules.

A grizzled, bright-eyed mechanic named Bytel pulled himself up the sloping front of the tank, carrying a long, steel key that looked vaguely ecclesiastical. With the odd-looking key, he unscrewed the latches for the three-man crew: gunner and commander in the revolving turret, driver in the tank's body. With Doshkov translating, Bytel told me that in the communist era, he'd been responsible for forty tanks in an armored division of 300. "I used to enjoy driving them," he said. "Now, I'm getting old."
I knew the feeling. Awkwardly, I slid down into the gunner's slot, 160 pounds of protoplasm into 49 tons of steel. My immediate impression was that ergonomics are not a strong point of a T-72, but claustrophobia is. There was a gun sight before my eyes, a cannon breech by my elbow, an aura of lethal power all around. "It must be noted that a human being in close proximity to the breech block of a 2A46 cannon when it is fired will find the event difficult to ignore or forget." That came from a Wikipedia contributor. Staring at the breech block, which was the size of a small safe, and imagining the recoil, I believed the author.
Next, Doshkov had me slide into the commander's seat in order, as he put it, "to savor the full tank experience." Speaking to the top of my head, he said it was too bad I'd missed this year's "Tank Power Days" at Excalibur Army, when a variety of tanks were on display and rides were available. "You will come back in the spring and take a drive," he said encouragingly.
I was busy looking through the commander's prismatic periscope. I couldn't see a thing. Fiddling with the communications gear and some switches, I got grease on my hands. I wiped them on my pants and found Doshkov blocking my way out, the sheltering blue sky framing his head. He brushed the foamy interior of the turret and said, "Anti-nuclear material. Nobody knows exactly what it is." Actually, they do know, I thought, having done some homework. It was boron and a mix of metals, lead, plastic, and glass to block radiation from blasting your mitochondria. "Nice feature," I said, touching the stuff.
A second salesman, a character named Spitka, joined us on the crowded turret. Spitka, who wore full camo and combat boots, had flown MiGs in Afghan-istan in the '80s. He smiled a lot and had a quirky, perverse sense of humor. Spitka asked me why Americans are so fat, why we have slow speed limits, what it is about the babes on Baywatch. I replied, "Too much junk food, safety, and I don't know." Later, Spitka asked me if I was really with the CIA and showed me a trunk full of decommissioned machine guns wrapped in red plastic and suggested that they would make nice Christmas gifts for only $250 each.
Spitka, Bytel, and Doshkov liked to talk tanks while standing on one in the warm sun. I began wondering what they thought of me. Was I for real, maybe a scout for a film producer (they mentioned Tobruk, a feature being shot in Libya, its war gear rented here), or was I just acting, like a guy with shallow pockets at a Ferrari dealer, hoping for a ride? I was saved by the train, so to speak, as I had to catch mine back to Prague. Doshkov walked me to the gate, past some small Serbian tanks called BVPs, rocket-firing trucks, OP-90 amphibious vehicles. Only half-jokingly, he said, "We have more military equipment here than the Czech army." Then, before I hurried off, he gave me the details for a sale:

-Excalibur Army sends me a price for a tank;
-I return an order, noting what I want rebuilt;
-EA goes to work on the tank;
-EA prepares an export license;
-I secure an import license;
-EA arranges shipping, after all licenses are in and papers signed.

"It will take three to four months after signing the contract. Shipping is the only problem. Forget Germany. Germans only cause problems. Go through Poland. It is easier." He smiled, waved. "In a couple months, you can have a tank in your courtyard."
What an absurd world we inhabit, I thought while on the train. This morning, I doubted I'd ever find a real tank for sale, and now all I need is an import license and the money. In our market-driven world, you can buy anything for a price, plus shipping. A tank is no exception. But an import license? If I lived in Kyrgyzstan or the Congo, even New Zealand or Germany, such a license might be easy to acquire. But not in America. Homeland Security would laugh at me, or interrogate me, or both. In Vermont, where I live, owning a tank would be beyond politically incorrect. If I parked a T-72 by the brook behind my house, aimed the cannon toward Quebec, and muttered something about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away, even if the cannon was spiked.
Still, I asked, posing the same question to myself that I'd asked when I set off on this admittedly wacky quest, why couldn't a good guy own a tank? A Czech dad drove his kids to school not long ago in his tank, causing a ruckus, but he wasn't even arrested. A tank is a symbolic rig for now, for militant and security-fixated times. Forget your Hummers and your Smarts: Hummers are so over, and Smarts are just too cute. I'd finally located a tank for sale, but the real challenge was how to get it home

I made a few calls. Usually cooperative people at the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia and behind the editorial desks at English-speaking newspapers didn't have answers or didn't want to touch this. Only Excalibur Army did. It had not only the tanks but also the expertise to handle all aspects of a deal. Not that there weren't other less reputable operators around. Case in point: in 2006, when I'd been living in Slovakia, there was a tank fiasco. Sixteen T-72s were found in a potato warehouse, all ready to be shipped to Kyrgyzstan. A company had a contract with the Slovak Ministry of Defense to take the tanks apart, melt them down, whatever. But guess what? A police investigator on the scene said, "These tanks were . . . in perfect working order. All you had to do was turn the key." When I called Ivo Samson, a research fellow for the Slovak Foreign Policy Association, he told me, "You cannot find out details. If you have all the licenses, you can broker the transaction. It is a long, never-ending story in Slovakia."
At any rate, despite making little progress on an import license, I was soon back on a turret with Lubo Doshkov. It was a nasty, rainy day. Strings of water fell off a roof that protected a dozen T-72s, the cast-offs of various wars, failed regimes, forgotten battles. These were what a buyer had to choose from. "You say, 'I like this one,' " Doshkov said, glancing at one of the beaters. "We write down the number. Then for you it is rebuilt."
As promised, he'd e-mailed me the prices: $60,000 "as is" for a fixer-upper; $105,000 for a complete rebuild. The prices startled me. You'd pay close to $90,000 for a big, new German supersedan such as a BMW M5 or a Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. Or, for that matter, for a fancy RV. Not that the creature comforts in the sedans, the road palace, and a combat-ready T-72 - which is low-tech and easy to repair but short on cabin amenities - are comparable. But a tank is mythic, both in design and power. With an impenetrable hide, a fire-breathing snout, a swiveling head, clacking legs, eyes you can't see, and a few brains in there somewhere, a tank pushes a lot of primal buttons. It's hard to imagine that anything else you might buy for the prices Doshkov quoted would have quite the same impact.
I took another close look at the T-72s huddled together out of the rain. Their numerical designations, faded paint jobs, and tilting fuel drums all seemed to tell stories. Out in the wet, I spotted a broken T-72 just in from Iraq. Treadless, on its road wheels, creamy white and mocha brown, the desert sand eater awaited a sympathetic buyer, one with a courtyard or a war. All he needed was an import license. To the east, cannon barrels crisscrossed. Beyond them flashed the wet, shiny tail of a MiG-21, rebuilt and ready to fly. Jutting above all the cannons and the turrets, it looked like the fin of a big fish escaping green predators.
Finally, Doshkov got a call. Either the team at Excalibur Army was bored or they had decided that I was a big shot. A T-72 awaited me. And the rain had let up. Doshkov, in an expansive mood, told me as we walked in its direction that he had been in the Bulgarian army but was too big for a tank. "I was infantry soldier," he said with a laugh. "I was the guy running after the tanks."
We rounded a corner, and there sat the demo T-72, warming up. It emitted a solid roar, like a blast furnace. Operating fluids were getting hot. Spitka and a driver were going in and out of the hatches. "This is a T-72MK, a commander's model, going to the American Air Force," Doshkov said in my ear.
The driver soon slipped into the body, his head small and conspicuous. Inside the tight quarters were levers, the kind used in a bulldozer, for pivoting on the treads, an eight-speed transmission, and conventional foot pedals - a clutch, a brake, and an accelerator. And no, I was told, you won't be driving. It's too dangerous in such a tight space.
I didn't object. I jumped off the tank, now idling like a revved-up stock car. The driver soon lurched the tank forward, then back. He looked bored, probably wondering what in the **** we were doing this for. Climbing onboard, Spitka slid into the commander's cockpit with his cockeyed smile and brought the cannon alive. It rose and fell; the turret moved left and right. The cannon finally stopped. It was eerie, having it aimed at me from a couple feet away, threatening to put a hole through me as big as the moon. Uneasy, I sidled away, behind the fender of a big truck. Spitka, the joker, swiveled the cannon horizontally until it was aimed at the photographer, a Czech. Unamused, she held her ground. The scene felt tense for a mo-ment, frightening and vaguely familiar; it could have been Budapest in '56, Prague in '68, Tiananmen Square in '89, Iraq in 2007. But then Spitka appeared, smiling. It was just an Excalibur Army salesman having fun. Now, did the American want to buy a tank?
I didn't have an answer. A few months later, I still don't. But when I walk out through the deep snow in my backyard, I can easily imagine a tank there, painted pink, draped in white, the cannon long and symbolic and disarmed. It would be a remarkable sight.
Where should I go to drive a tank?
Excalibur Army's main depot is in Přelouč, an hour east of Prague by train. EA (Prodej vojenské techniky, army shop, likvidace nebezpeèných odpadù) is the world's largest private dealer of military gear, from tanks to military kitchens. Entertainment events include "Tank Power Days," which usually run from April through September. If you want to drive a tank, this is the place to go. In the United States, two tank-driving outfits - one in Texas, the other in Minnesota - have recently gone cannons up.

Tanks for the Memories
By Don Sherman
With two Shermans on the masthead of Automobile Magazine, we couldn't resist this tribute to America's armored WWII hero, the Sherman tank.
Army and Marine designation: M4 medium tank
Named after: Civil War General William T. Sherman
Built by: Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, and others
Number manufactured: Approximately 50,000
Used by: All Allies in the European and Pacific theaters; later, various foreign armies
Service span: El Alamein (1942) through Arab-Israeli War (1973)
Armament: 75- or 76-mm gun or 105-mm howitzer
Weight: 33 tons
Power: Various gasolineand diesel engines by Caterpillar, Chrysler, Continental, Ford, and GM
Consumption: Approximately 1.5 gallons of fuel per mile
Top speed: Approximately 25 mph
Crew: Commander, driver, co-driver, gunner, loader
Nicknames
Tommycooker (by the Germans)
Ronson (by the British)
Burning Grave (by the Polish)
Death Trap (by Belton Cooper, 3rd Armored Division historian)
Superior Tool of War (by General George S. Patton)

Attachments

PorscheTech911

I've had that article saved for a while. Doesn't tell you much about actually buying and importing a tank, but is a good read. Not sure why at the end he said he wanted to see it pink and sitting under white snow, but to each his own I guess. Thanks for posting this.

66bug

Banned
OK Here is my story.
It started 5 years ago and went a whole year till it ended. Was looking for a APC. After looking and emailing and finding half the guys do not have 90% of the stuff they are selling i spotted a APC on Milweb. The price was high but after a few months the price dropped to 7,500 US. Did the picture thing and talked on the phone. This had a rebuilt motor ran great,it is all there you know the drill. But first had to find a person to do all the import stuff and shipping. Started calling all wanted 1,200 but found a guy that would handle everything here and the UK for 400.00. So i bought the truck it is early Sept. and the export/import stuff was to take about 6 weeks. I got a call mid Dec. all the stuff is ready to go and i said ship it. Well months passed and still nothing. I called the importer . Where is my truck? I did not know you were in a hurry was the reply. It is now mid March still no truck. One more call is made. I told them summer is almost here and i would like the truck shipped. Again nothing after a few weeks. It is now early Aug. and the truck is still in the UK. A call is made again. Where is my truck? Well we are waiting on you to tell us when to ship it. I have been waiting since Dec. when i told you the first time to ship the truck. I told them summer will be over when the truck gets here. Well the guy that has the truck in the UK will buy your APC for 3,500. After i said no the guy charged me 30.00 a day to store my truck and did keep it for 30 more days before he shipped it. So 900.00 more for storage and i was begging for them to ship the truck. Early Sept. i get a call we are shipping your truck and it will be there in about two weeks. Shipping was over 8,000 because again i was in a hurry they say. OK truck is here. One year has passed since i did buy this thing. I have my truck with me just in case there is a problem. OK first thing they left the batt. on at the port thing is dead. Not a problem i have my truck and cables. But i was thinking. This thing sat for a year and gas should be kind of crap now but i have a can of new gas. I fight and get the fuel cap open. Start to dump the gas in. After a few seconds gas pours on the ground. WTF! I take a look no fuel tank only a 5 gal. can with a hose going to it. Well hey i have to move the thing so i fill the can with gas. But before i move or start the thing let me check the coolant. The thing is bone dry. So i only had about two gals. of antifreeze with me and i was lucky to find a place that had some water where the truck was being unloaded. The water poured out faster than i can pour it in. Yes again WTF! I had to drive the truck 7 miles home so the truck is started. Transfer case was in low range i put it in high nothing. WTF #3! No high range only low. I have to get it home so away we go. 5mph,10mph,15mph i hit 20mph. The steering wheel almost flew out of my hand it is shacking so bad. WTF #4! Drive the truck home at 15mph. Home at last and this thing is hot. Time to look over my prize. Half the crap is missing that was to be with the truck. But after a year what can you do. I spoke to a person in the UK that did know the seller. He told me kids had gotten into the truck and trashed a few things. I was never told about this from the seller. But like i said a year passed what can you do. I ended selling the truck and i lost a few bucks on the deal. There was a guy on Ebay a while back selling a Kraz radar truck. I emailed the guy and we had a talk. Kind of the same thing did happen to him but idid not buy my truck from the guy he got his. Moral of the story is this. If you have to fly there to look at the thing DO IT! It will save your rear in the long run!

kcimb

66bug!

I sent you a PM a while ago but never heard back from you. I have your horror story in the back of my mind every time I think about purchasing something overseas...

Doh!

PM sent..

Last edited:

TexAndy

I dunno about a TANK tank, but I am interested in trying to import an armored car like a Ferret or a Fox.

I wish he'd tried to import that T-72, just so I could hear some experience on getting it through customs here in the USA.

PorscheTech911

Getting things through customs is easy as long as it is de-milled correctly and I assume it has to be power washed super clean. APC's are easy and plentyful to find. Look in Poland or Czech Republic for cheaper prices than you would pay for from the UK.

kcimb

Getting things through customs is easy as long as it is de-milled correctly and I assume it has to be power washed super clean. APC's are easy and plentyful to find. Look in Poland or Czech Republic for cheaper prices than you would pay for from the UK.

Who do you recommend and how do you avoid getting taken?

Who do you recommend and how do you avoid getting taken?
Bring a knowledgeable local that's on your side. You gotta be careful with T-72s, the engines are muti-fuel and if they were ever used on something other than diesel, the fuel pump and injectors are likely shot. Check the filters for wear products. If they are recently replaced and squeaky clean, I'd start wondering what the sellers are hiding . You can get a surplus V-46 engine in Russia for not a lot of money. They are completely useless, as they fit T-72s, small locomotives (take 2-4 of these or V-55s) and select few other vehicles that almost never fall into the hands of private owners in that country. Engine replacement can be done "in the field", but it's a major PITA.

The transmissions tend to freeze in winter, even if you run the engine heater for a while you may not be able to start the engine. Once you parked the T-72, you need to pump oil out of the transmissions into the oil tank, and shut the engine off while the pump is still running. The T-72 engine heater does not heat the transmissions and heating them with a torch is a very difficult and time-consuming process, with a non-zero chance of setting the machine on fire.

I know a fair amount about T-72s, I worked on them and can read the Russian manuals easily. I'm not sure I'd get one even if I had the money. Don't wanna get in over my head.

warewolf

Guys if you want to buy T-72s from STV Group in Czech republic buy one of the three most expensive. They are like new, almost not used at all. Rest of them is in pretty ****ty condition.
They bought 50 of them in Poland and I saw them and spoke with the mechanics just before sale - most of the other 47 is suitable rather for junkyard, not for collectors.

Rumor has it, that a lot of the T-72s that were in decent shape were bought by the government of Georgia (Ex-USSR republic). First they bought a bunch of them, then they lost more than a few in the war against Russia in August of 2008, then they bought some more.

Poland used to manufacture a downgraded version of T-72, similar to the one that USSR offered for export. It should be pretty easy to identify whether the tank was manufactured in USSR, Poland or Czechoslovakia. I have never seen the Polish and Czech versions, only the soviet ones.

dmetalmiki

question about truck

you say you spoke to someone in U.K. re- KRAZ radar bodied truck. I am curiouse as I had / have a KRAZ255B for sale (was on ebay and milweb) but only had "tyre kickers and promises" ((after the usual "can I have a drive,....?)) NO one with money or fuel and if had I complied I would have been using it a rate of 3 times a week (free????) at 3 MPG!...I know of no other bodied KRAZ over here..so pondered who you spoke/ comunicated with...sorry to hear of your hassles .. and those that had bad deals from so other called " military experts" other forums point to the "bad apples" on the vehicle appropriate and relevent sites. there are quite a few genuine and sincere sellers over here and perhaps it is worth contacting these before experiencing the things you had to put up with. via I.M.P.S. or M.V.T.
here are some pics of my Kraz & u can look on utube "slab common heavy vehicle trial" for video. or utube dmetalmiki "my M45" and the other posted vids there.

Attachments

warewolf

Rumor has it, that a lot of the T-72s that were in decent shape were bought by the government of Georgia (Ex-USSR republic). First they bought a bunch of them, then they lost more than a few in the war against Russia in August of 2008, then they bought some more.
True, but they came from Czech, Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine. I am speaking about the tanks, that STV has in stock right now and these are retired T-72s from Polish Army.

Poland used to manufacture a downgraded version of T-72, similar to the one that USSR offered for export. It should be pretty easy to identify whether the tank was manufactured in USSR, Poland or Czechoslovakia. I have never seen the Polish and Czech versions, only the soviet ones.
Yep, we made T-72M (or M1), it was a downgraded, export version. I guess soviets never trusted their satellites too much. :)
It is quite easy to recognize T-72M1 from T-72B (my personal favorite in this family), which was made in USSR..

True, but they came from Czech, Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine. I am speaking about the tanks, that STV has in stock right now and these are retired T-72s from Polish Army.
I guess we're all in agreement here, Georgian government snapped all the good ones from all over the Eastern Europe. I am guessing that many of the ones left for sale are the ones that Georgians did not buy, for a reason. They were probably beat up by a few generations of recruits. In Russia the vehicles are divided into 2 categories: the ones used for training and the ones stored to be used in case of a war. The latter are the ones to buy, their problems are mostly caused by sitting in storage for a long time, these are easy to fix if caught it time.

Yep, we made T-72M (or M1), it was a downgraded, export version. I guess soviets never trusted their satellites too much. :)
It is quite easy to recognize T-72M1 from T-72B (my personal favorite in this family), which was made in USSR..
The soviets never trusted their "allies", and for a good reason: they never wanted to be allied with the Soviets to begin with. Hungary in 1956 and Czech in 1968 conclusively proved that. That's why the Eastern Block fell apart so quickly.

warewolf

I guess we're all in agreement here, Georgian government snapped all the good ones from all over the Eastern Europe. I am guessing that many of the ones left for sale are the ones that Georgians did not buy, for a reason. They were probably beat up by a few generations of recruits. In Russia the vehicles are divided into 2 categories: the ones used for training and the ones stored to be used in case of a war. The latter are the ones to buy, their problems are mostly caused by sitting in storage for a long time, these are easy to fix if caught it time.
Yes, Georgian bought the best T-72, but they didn't come from Polish Army, because the first batch was released lately and all of them were bought by Czechs.
And only three of them were from the second category. They were one of the first T-72s in Poland, manufactured in USSR. Rest of them were from the first category and were in bad condition.

The soviets never trusted their "allies", and for a good reason: they never wanted to be allied with the Soviets to begin with. Hungary in 1956 and Czech in 1968 conclusively proved that. That's why the Eastern Block fell apart so quickly.
Yep, most of people here were not too happy about our "big brother", but the reasons why Eastern Block fell apart are a little bit more complicated. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks