• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Quad 50 GT replica - advice needed

dogtags

The Military Veterans Museum has been invited to display some vehicles as part of LZ Lambeau - a Welcome Home celebration at Lambeau Field in Green Bay for Vietnam War Veterans and their families.

For more information, check out:
LZ Lambeau
Event for Vietnam Veterans expanding

One of the things they asked for was a duce with a quad 50 in the back. I am not one to just plop a quad 50 into a 3-color CARC painted M35A2. If we are going truly to honor these vets, only a replica GT will do.

To that extent, I am asking for help converting a M35A2 and quad 50 into a replica of "The Great Eve of Destruction." Why TGEoD you ask? Well this is why I think TGEoD would be a good candidate for replication:

• At least two people are planning on making a replica of Nancy (I don't want three Nancy's floating around the US, one other as close as IL)
  • With only 125 days left til LZ Lambeau (May 20th, 2010) we need a truck that would be fairly quick and easy to replicate.
  • Very limited modification to the quad 50 mount, so it will be able to be returned to it's WWII configuration easily.
With that in mind, I need you help, ideas, comments and suggestions.

• I have only seen three photos of TGEoD on the net. Are there any more to be had?

• What all needs to be done to a M35A2 to cosmetically convert it back to an A1? I know the exhaust needs to be rerouted, but what else?

• Painting and bumper markings are not evident on the B/W photos. Does anyone know what unit used TGEoD?
This feels like a big undertaking for such a simple replica, I really admire those of you that have converted a 5-ton into a GT.

~Robert
Director and head mechanic, Military Veterans Museum
Oshkosh, WI

Driver523

The Great Eve I believe belonged to a Inf. outfit---unless I have it confused with another they used to sling it to places they couldn't drive to, I have photos of it and will look for them tomorrow, they may be the ones you have seen maybe not---Seems like there was a guy on the old gun truck site that was on that truck--I'll see what I can find there also, Thanks for keeping the memory alive--Quads are not only neat but a part of history, Driver523rd@aol.com Driver

Last edited:

Driver523

Here are the ones I could find right off----In James Lyles second book The Hard Ride he has another photo and it LOOKS (??) like the bumper number on the drivers side is G 9 he also states the truck was with G Battery 65th Arty---I'll keep lookin----------Driver

Attachments

dogtags

Thanks for the info. These are the photos I have of the truck (some are duplicates of what you posted). I am not sure if the second photo is TGEoD or not. The quad is mounted in the same spot and the weight reating is on the passengers side door. I didn't see to many other GTs with the weight rating on the door like that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Driver523

The Great Eve of Destruction was in some video used on the military channel on a show called weaponology---it was a wheeled armor show----it had other quads, some convoy, and regular gun truck shots during that portion------along with some dialog from Richard Killblane the Transportation Corps historian-----------Driver

vtdeucedriver

Dogtags,
I looked at your pics, if that 2nd pic is TGEOD. Its on a different truck. If you note, the one pic has the larger star on the door to where the other pic is the standard 12" for the door. Yes on most gun trucks you would not see the weight on the door as most of those trucks were repainted black or had no symbols at all. A large star or a yellow dot would make too easy of a aimpoint for a VC with a RPG.

Like larry said, lots of quads were with INF and ARTY units. During the monsoon season, the mud gave havock to guys trying to move quads on the dollys around the firebase. They found it much easier to put em in the back of a deuce or 5 ton to protect the firebase perimiters.

dogtags

Dogtags,
I looked at your pics, if that 2nd pic is TGEOD. Its on a different truck. If you note, the one pic has the larger star on the door to where the other pic is the standard 12" for the door. Yes on most gun trucks you would not see the weight on the door as most of those trucks were repainted black or had no symbols at all. A large star or a yellow dot would make too easy of a aimpoint for a VC with a RPG.

Like larry said, lots of quads were with INF and ARTY units. During the monsoon season, the mud gave havock to guys trying to move quads on the dollys around the firebase. They found it much easier to put em in the back of a deuce or 5 ton to protect the firebase perimiters.
Yeah, the more I look at the 2nd photo, the more I get the feeling it is not TGEoD.

Did anybody find out what unit TGEoD was attached to?

~Robert

historyfanatics

The Great Eve I believe belonged to a Inf. outfit---unless I have it confused with another they used to sling it to places they couldn't drive to, I have photos of it and will look for them tomorrow, they may be the ones you have seen maybe not---Seems like there was a guy on the old gun truck site that was on that truck--I'll see what I can find there also, Thanks for keeping the memory alive--Quads are not only neat but a part of history, Driver523rd@aol.com Driver
Driver,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I think you are thinking of the Eve of Destruction. The Great Eve belonged to an ADA outfit and defended the infantry during an attack. I'll have to look up to see who she actually belonged to.

Robert
www.HistoryFanatics.net

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks