• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

P-51 Story

GreenBull

Great story. Made my wife cry. In the 90's when it was 50 years my father told me some of his story.

One of my favorites though, is one that my uncle told me.

Like most WWII veterans, all my father wanted to do was come home and build something better. He was a underground construction superintendent.

One fine winter, the job that he was on flooded and then froze. Cranes, loaders, pumps, generators, and mining machines encased in ice after the water receded. The younger engineer in charge said they would need to close down the job and truck all the frozen machines back to the workshop for repair. My dad said no and they disagreed about it. My dad won out. He sent men to every grocery store and tarp shop in the area and had men cut barrels in half. In sub zero weather, with charcoal fires, tarps and heaters they thawed and serviced the equipment and got that job running again in short order. This saved the company big money and very much impressed the young engineer.

The young engineer asked my father where he had learned to do what had been done? My father's simple reply was "I learned it on a job in Europe".

I think of that cold and bloody winter of 1944/45 and how my father learned that lesson...

Thank God for great men!

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that was a super great video.. many thanks for sharing that with us.. we need to do more for the greatest generation before they are all gone Tim

hi-revr

I hope the boys at History/Discovery/Military channels are racking up video interviews as fast as they can with all the vets. They can always put shows together later.

I fullfilled a life-long dream last summer. I flew the P-51 Crazy Horse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks