• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have information on the M34?

acrane

I am in the process of buying an M34, and was wondering if anyone else owned one or had any historical information on them.

My Dad drove an M-34 in the Army from 1951-1952. His unit may have been one of the 1st to receive the then new M-series vehicles. I would like to know how long they were made for, or if they were superseeded by the M35. There is very little information out there on these early trucks.

Thanks,

Alan

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early years found the M34, M35, and M36 serving together. The M34 had single 11.00-20 rubber and a lower, narrower bed with cutouts. The only M34's I've seen were gassers by Reo or Studebaker-Packard with the Reo Gold Comet 331 six. No later contracts were done for them.

It fell out of favor, mostly oweing to the smaller bed dimensions and the difficulty of stocking two different sets of racks & canvas for them.

Testing proved it was much better off road, but most duty was on pavement so the duals of the M35 gave better service versus the weight issue.

The similar GMC was the M135, had the same bed. The bed not only had inner fenders for the tire clearance, but also had diagonal straps welded on the sides for bracing.

The M36 lasted till the end, but the long wheelbase 17' cargos are rare.

dg

FrankUSMC

Two small items to add.
They also were made into fire trucks (530 series). I have seen two firetrucks built on the M34 frame, one was on Fort Jackson (I am a Army Brat, but went to the Dark Side and joined the Marines), the other was on an Air Force Base on Okanawa in 1991.
I found a "stash" of brass data plates for the M34s. The data plate is defferent than the alumanum ones in the date is made into the plate, the ones I have are dated 1951. The M34 brass plates I have are $10.00 each (was selling them at $15.00).
One of the few. Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks