• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zinc and phosporous in WMO?

TexAndy

I've been told that running WMO in a deuce isn't the best thing for the injectors due to the zinc and phosphorous found in motor oil that won't burn up.

How bad of a problem is this? Is there a way to mitigate this problem? Say, only run WMO/Gas mixture in every other tank and run the diesel tank with an injector cleaner?

Edumucate me, please.

stampy

I don't know about zinc or phosphorous but a centrifuge will remove all heavies down to about .5 micron sooo, I would expect it to catch metals too. I have run some WMO but typically run WVO:grin:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zinc and phosphorus have been added to lube oil for a long time. Before there were valve seals on modern diesel engines,
oil was drawn past the guides and burned. That is what some of the PM that comes out the tail pipe was and one of
the reasons for using specially formulated oils in new engines so the DPF system won't plug as fast. There were also systems
on engines that took lube oil out of the oil pan, replenished it with clean oil from a reservoir on the truck and injected it into the fuel supply so it could be burned. Cummins used this system on non Ca. fleets up to around 2002 or so until the PM laws made it so the burning of WMO illegal just for the PM it puts out. The required fuel filter for the N14 and M11 engines was a 10 micron just before the fuel went into the system. There were no higher failure rates on these engines as compared to non CENTINIAL systems
when it came to inector failures.
So, if I had access to normal oil change oil instead of failed engine oil, i'd filter it and use it. The oil additives won't hurt the injectiors or pump.

TexAndy

I don't know about zinc or phosphorous but a centrifuge will remove all heavies down to about .5 micron sooo, I would expect it to catch metals too. I have run some WMO but typically run WVO:grin:
I think the problem with that is that the zinc and phosphorous is in solution in the WMO. Not merely physically mixed. So a centrifuge won't separate them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks