• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New motor oil- burn in deuce

markmontana

I just came across a good supply of new motor oil. (Maybe a couple hundred gallons or so.) It's older stuff, mostly 30wt. While I'm sure it's new and clean, I don't want to run it in any of my vehicles as motor oil, so my question is, should I mix it with diesel for the deuce? 50/50?

And since gasoline is cheaper out here right now, how about mixing it with gas? If so, what ratio? If one of the problems with running gasoline in the multi-fuel engine is lack of lubricating properties- adding good clean motor oil should solve that issue.

Thanks for any ideas and comments.

---

5ton4ever

new motor oil is 2 bucks a quart at least, diesel is about 3 something a gallon, I would sell or trade the oil or use it in an old tractor or something before I burned it as fuel. Thats just me. Keep your powder dry.

wdbtchr

new motor oil is 2 bucks a quart at least, diesel is about 3 something a gallon, I would sell or trade the oil or use it in an old tractor or something before I burned it as fuel. Thats just me. Keep your powder dry.
Hmmm . . . I'd do both, use it for motor oil then burn it as fuel. I've been running my multi on 100% motor oil for several years now. I filter it down to 5 microns and pump it in.2cents:rolleyes:

markmontana

new motor oil is 2 bucks a quart at least,
I should have added that this oil was free. Just the trouble to pick it up- which I did today, and store it (or burn it).

I'll run a tankful thru the deuce and see how she runs. I still think it would be best to mix it, I'm having a hard time getting my head around using WMO in a perfectly good motor...

Thanks

--

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd just add it to each tankful, few quarts/gal each time as lube for the IP, and insurance against ultra low sulpher diesel.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...wish you were closer. I would give ya 3 bucks a gallon for the oil and you could buy diesel. Then I would use the oil in all kinds of stuff we have here and when it gets dirty...strain it and burn in a multi. A couple of our guys are running wmo mixed with diesel and or gas. I have plenty of wmo drained from our wreckers when serviced...AT Fluid to.

ARYankee

I'd filter it just in case and use a mix. I have some WMO and plan on filtering it and starting with a 75%/25% mix. You don't need to go out and spend a ton of money on a filter kit. I just got a housing to where I can screw on any automotive filter and do it that way.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If gas is $2.50 a gallon and you mix it 50/50 with your free oil (almost free, your time is worth something) then your cost for deuce fuel is $1.25 a gallon.....cheap fuel these days.
Using new oil will save fuel filters too.

southdave

I run 30 gal of oil 3 gal of gas in the winter and diesel when wheather permits. The mix of gasoline and motor smeel bad and will leave with pounding headache at least for me. also you might want to swap out your fuse for the fuse pump for a 15 amp fuse.

Synthetic motor oil should burn just as well as regular oil. What makes it synthetic is on a molecular level. They use regular oil stocks and a catalyst to break up molecular chains in the oil for a uniform oil. Some synthetic oils are better then others. But it comes down to its still oil and it will still burn.

Synthetic motor oils have been made from the following classes of lubricants:

• Polyalphaolefin (PAO) = American Petroleum Institute (API) Group IV base oil
  • Synthetic esters, etc = API Group V base oils (non-PAO synthetics, including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, etc.)
  • Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil ONLY in the United States. Group III based lubricants are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" in any market outside of the USA.

Hammer

With a large amount of new/clean motor oil like that, I think I would do a couple quick oil changes on my vehicles to really clean them up, then just use the barely used MO for fuel. Maybe run that stuff for 500 miles, change it out (not the filter, just the oil), repeat a couple times until the motor oil stays clean!
Cheap way to clean up your motor, and then you would barely have to filter the wmo to use as fuel.
When the motor oil stays clean, change it again back to your standard oil that you like to use and enjoy a clean motor (inside anyways)....

markmontana

do a couple quick oil changes ... to really clean them up, then just use the barely used MO for fuel. (inside anyways)....
hammer- that is a good plan. Thanks. I just dumped the oil in the deuce, and put in the most recent oil of this batch (30w). I'll see what it looks like in a few hundred miles. Would be nice to have a real clean motor -- at least for peace of mind if nothing else.

BTW, I just sent in an oil sample to be analyzed. It will be the dirtiest oil I've ever sent in- I believe. Who knows when it was last changed by the 181st Heavy Combat Support Battalion!

Hammer

Yeah, can't think of a cheaper way to clean the motor up then flushing it with clean motor oil on a short change interval!

rattlecan6104

i've been feeding my deuce with nearly anything flammable I can get my hands on, but since its clean, using it as motor oil then as fuel seems to be the best use for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks