• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Ambulance

M36-A2

This is my 1982 GMC Ambulance, it has a 350/350 setup, dually, part-time 4x4, PS, AC (front and rear), walk-tru cab with sliding door. Does anybody know its NSN number and/or any military or non-military specs? I can't find anything about it. On the door says: USAir Force, for official use only. I got it in the UK a few years ago and it has only 33.000 miles on the odometer. Runs like new. It's about 1 foot longer than the more seen Dodge ambulance/M886
It is not the M1010

Scrambler

Hmmm, strange... I've been trying to get on this forum with my previous inlog name (M36-A2) for the last half year but it didn't work. So I made up a new account and now I see my old name is working again, automaticly inlog through my computer.

Well, M36-A2 and Scrambler are both me...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Ambulance did not have a M designation. would typically have been stateside.
it's a K3500 cab & chassis with an Ambulance body probably from Mark Body Co. here in Michigan USA

Scrambler

It is longer than a regular cab & chassis of K3500 series. The wheelbase is longer. I know of a kid who has the same vehicle, removed the ambulance body and put a pickup bed on it. He added about 1 foot; his plans were make a supercab, like Ford had in those days but instead he easyed up his project by adding a piece of bed. Looks weird, if you're used to regular size pickups.

FrankUSMC

This ambulance would have been at a base hospital. Just about every base has an ambulance that is sat up to go off road. When I went into the Marines, Parris Island had a nice 1 ton Dodge sat up like yours. Here at Cherry Point last year they sold a jeep 1 ton from the hospital. They are "off the self" purchases and have no "M" number nor are they 24 volt.
Great looking truck.
One of the few, Frank

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it will be a bit longer. That style of pickup had a 56" length cab to axle. Trucks sold and chassis/cabs have a 60" standard cab to axle length.