• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I gots to know

SGT FROST

I cannot remember , Are NDT/NDCC tires DOT approved ? I want the best looking macho tread, legal and lawyer resistant in court . And also what would be the metric size of 700/16 ? 245/75/16 I am looking at mud tires and the treads look great and stand back and think about the Hummers in the all terrain tread design ,I need your thoughts on this subject SGT FROST OUT

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yes on the dot stamp

215/85/16
Firestone Destination M/T

would be closer to the right size. even though my jeep does not run/is on blocks I have been thinking about this already. I haven't run the tire in the link, but I will definately be looking at it or the new goodyear duratrac in the same size when the time comes. FWIW I run 255/85/16 maxxis bighorn tires on my TJ and would put them on the m170 in a heartbeat if they were available as a 215...

Last edited:

SGT FROST

Roger That BFR thank You for the good Intel , This is as tough decision as which is better the fake or the real ones . I like the look of the tread design ,I will look at the tires today,SGT FROST, OUT!

SGT FROST

Jimmy, I have tried to balance this out,weight it out and figure it out so today is the day. Outside the sun is shining for the first time in 30 days . I will buy NDCC ,Where did you find the Firestones ? My spare is a Cooper tire ,I would buy Goodyears or Coopers or Firestone , but I heard that STA's are made offshore ..SGT FROST OUT

SGT FROST

Roger That, Jimmy I plane forgot all about K-Willys stocking tires , And they are just two states away on freight. What jeep do you have ? I have a 1954 M38A1 ser.75879, I would love to get the history on it ,I bought it from a elderly man that put a warn snow blade on it to clean his wives beauty shop parking lot . This jeep is in good condition I need to sell the snow blade , and I just remembered I need a yellow Bridge number sign for the front grill . That and paint color change from red to 24087. I would show pictures but I am not that computer literate, I am A retired Portrait Photographer. SGT FROST Out!

jimmyparks

I have an M170 that I think was originally a Marine Corps radio jeep. I just picked it up from Iron7 yesterday and took it to the ranch to start an intensive undercarriage rebuild. Sand blast all the under side, perhaps lift the body a little bit to get the frame painted. All the fender wells, frame, crossmembers, axles, etc. Going to coat everything with POR 15 and then paint marine corps olive drab. Put new motor mounts in yesterday, and Iron7 got the wires and spark right and it fired up for the first time in probably 25 years!!! Now I need to complete all the accelerator pedal springs, linkages and make sure the fuel pump and vacuum pump are working. Just poured some gas in the carb to see if would start. I think we cracked the oil pan putting in the new motor mounts. Surplus City seems to have everything we need to replace the oil pan, gaskets, screws, etc. Should have the magic spare tire carrier next week. Will start replacing all the ball joints and get the steering unit in shape next week.

jimmyparks

Well I finally found that elusive spare tire carrier and made some pretty good progress this past weekend on the M170. Found it in Kentucky by searching craigslist.com state by city by state by city starting with Alabama. Two hours before I found an old volunteer fire dept. M170. Piece of junk but convinced the seller to "part it out". $200 for the carrier but it was in pretty decent shape. Sanded it down and "rustoleumed" and marine corp olive drab. Looks pretty good. Got the front tie rods changed out as well.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
jimmy, I would definately appreciate as many pics & measurements of that sapre tire carrier as you can stand. (might be a good idea to start a thread just for it.)

jimmyparks

Spare tire carrier dimensions

Not the clearest I've ever done but usable. If the builder will simply build the center piece according to the dimensions shown and bolt it in place with the two vertical pipes standing tall and then take a 60" piece of 1" diameter pipe and start with the rear bolt hole and bend the pipe around the spare tire across the top of the two vertical pipes and then bend it downward to the bolt hole in the wheel well next to the passenger seat and then when it fits exactly right, weld it up.

Attachments

jimmyparks

3-20-2010 progress

Made some good progress this weekend. Refurbed the rear sway bar, new shocks on the back, cleaned up the drums and installed the elusive spare tire carrier.

Last edited:

jimmyparks

THE BEAST IS RUNNING!!!!!Got the front shocks done, front sway bar, fuel pump installed, batteries charged up and she started right up!!Engine, according to papers I got from last owner, was rebuilt in 1984 but never run. It pooped out white smoke for 10 minutes at idle and then stopped smoking all together. Purrs like kitten. Actually drove it around the lot to check out the tranny, transfer and drive train. Jacked it up and started sand blasting the undercarriage and drive train. Got a good coat of rustoleum on the back half. New brake shoes, turning the drums and getting front end aligned week after Easter. Hope to put in on the road real time in thirty days!! Forgot my camera or I'd have lots of new pics. Next time.

SGT FROST

AIRBORNE ,Another small step for man and Giant step for mankind ,I am getting closer also. I need a replace a cylinder and install front disk brakes and test drive to the paint shed...OUT

jimmyparks

I wanted to put up a few more "before" pictures as I'm getting close to the "after" pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks