• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 deuce not running

einstein

I have been looking and have seen several fairly clean deuces for sale on the gl site. Most say they dont run are they minor or major things to get them running?

ALso i live in utah so how can you find out when they are going to list some in utah or near utah?

Can you post your experiences or tips buying off gl site versus buying a running one? Are they hard to work on and troubleshoot?

Matt

einstein

Oh and I see alot of engines on the gl website too are the engines rebuilt or new? Why are they selling perfectly good parts for nothing?

Matt

wb1895

Oh and I see alot of engines on the gl website too are the engines rebuilt or new? Why are they selling perfectly good parts for nothing?

Matt

They are selling perfectly good parts because they are surplus items. The government dosent need them anymore.

As far as GL goes "most" of the trucks just need a set of batteries and some fuel, but please do a search here on SS and read up on recoveries.

KsM715

You just have to keep an eye on the GL website to see whats coming up in your area. Search this site for all the in's and out's of buying off GL.

Oh and just so you know if you spot a truck you want to bid on dont post on here about it till the auction is over. If you need help checking it out just post a thread stating that you need help with a preview with a lot at XXX site and see if anyone here can meet you there and help you out.

Some of the SteelSoldiers forum rules:
Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• No collusion as specified above.

Good luck.

velociT

It honestly depends on the truck.

Some will just need batteries, others have serious motor damage and driveshafts pulled.

If you're worried about getting in over your head, I'd recommend getting one privately you can test drive.

greenjeepster

We just had a member a week or so ago post about and A3 that they won, it started fine, but the tranny was shot.

This stuff is obsolete; the units that have the equipment are supposed to turn it all in so it can be disposed of usually by a certain date. Often they don't have a replacement for the truck they are supposed to turn in so they keep on using it. At some point something breaks and because it is obsolete they cannot get an order to repair it so then they turn it in.

GL is a complete role of the dice; sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. If you want a truck that is 100% GL is not the way to go. More often than not you will need to work on something.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have bought a lot of trucks from GL. The only one that had a bad engine was the M816 Wrecker (my most expensive piece of yard art).
That being said, a lot of them had small things wrong....many that turned out to be major headaches (bad brakes and electrical).
Parts are available and usually reasonable but if you buy from the major surplus outlets you will pay a premium.
The good news is that your fellow MV addicts will sell you used parts (including yours truly).
One reason GL puts "does not run" in its description is so that if it won't start you have no recourse. People not familiar with the deuces and 5 tons are prone to leave the battery switch in the ON position when they shut down the truck....when the air leaks down the low air buzzer goes off and drains the batterys.
You can get a good deal on GL but you can also get skunked ......"ya pays your money and ya takes your chances".
If you want a sure thing your best bet is to buy from a dealer or someone who buys to resell.....they have taken the risk that some major part is bad.......you will pay more but that is the cost of peace of mind.

sandcobra164

Could not have said it better wreckerman893. Everyone else, "stay away from those listings that say does not start"!!!! Mine said that, I worried night and day for my EUC to clear, once I got authorization, I put a pair of batteries in and it started as if it were parked there the day prior.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was out looking at trucks today, one that was listed as, "Starts and runs" did but sounded like a rod was gone, another listed the same did but was missing the shaft between tranny and transfer case, third was missing belts to the air compressor! Some others at the same site did not have the S&R in the description 1 missing main drive shaft, 1 missing alt and other parts not seen in pic's.
I have lucked-out a couple of times on a blind bid, but also got burnt bad on a duce once with both rear locked up and shelled as it was driven in with no juice in the pumpkins.
Now I don't bid unless me or someone I trust put an eyeball and hands on it.

greenjeepster

My truck buying experience with GL has been 50/50. I previewed both trucks twice prior to bidding and one did not have a thing wrong with it when I got it home. The second looked better than the first, but needed minor trans work, had a leaking axle seal, poor brakes, needs an alternator, IP is leaking. I got it for a song, but by the time I get everything right it will be well over 4 K invested for a truck without winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks