• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO filtering idea

Howdy, newbie here:

I don't have a Deuce yet, but soon hopefully :)

Anyways, I had an idea for a WMO filter system that seems fairly simple in my mind, but I'm sure someone will show me why it won't work.

Put waste oil in a 55 gallon drum set up on legs or some sort, or cinder blocks even. Tap the bottom and run a line from that, through your choice of large filters with small micron ratings, and then into another 55 gallon drum's top lid that is vented. The first 55 gallon drum would be air tight once you put the WMO in and close it up. Have an air fitting on the top of the first 55 gallon drum that you connect your home air compressor hose to. Set your compressor shut off pressure at ~80 psi. The air pressure would push down on the oil in the drum and push it through the filters and into the other 55 gallon drum. As the WMO level drops in the first drum, the air space expands and the pressure drops, so the compressor kicks back on and brings the pressure back up to 80 psi to help push the oil through the lines.

Any thoughts? The only problem I've been able to come up with yet is that once you empty all of the oil out of the first drum, your air compressor would run constantly unless you manually shut it off.

rattlecan6104

they have shop air powered 55 gal pumps that work this way, the drums hold up, but its scary as **** when the drums start to expand or contract under the pressure.

I would recommend putting a return line from the bottom drum back to the top one, that way you can cycle the oil through a few more times(no need to lift up one drum this way) , and in the case of too much pressure, dropping it down to around 30 psi should be more than sufficient, then just let it filter overnight, then pump into dedicated "clean" drums.

If you do a search you can find there are several discussions involving filtering WMO, I personally have just a screen in the funnel as well as the tank screen to filter out the really bad stuff. I may have to change my filters a little more often, but it works for me with the current resources that I have, and the truck still runs like a champ.

I just spent a good couple hours reading WMO filtering threads. Very interesting. I will probably try using a 75/25 mix once I get a Deuce. Just figured air pressure forcing filtration sounded too easy...

The only idea for the first drum (or tank) sitting up on legs or blocks was only to give clearance so the bottom tap isn't crushed between tank and floor. The continuous cycle filtering overnight is a cool idea, but I don't see how air pressure would make it work. Eventually, it would reach equilibrium and not flow anymore wouldn't it?

rattlecan6104

I just spent a good couple hours reading WMO filtering threads. Very interesting. I will probably try using a 75/25 mix once I get a Deuce. Just figured air pressure forcing filtration sounded too easy...

The only idea for the first drum (or tank) sitting up on legs or blocks was only to give clearance so the bottom tap isn't crushed between tank and floor. The continuous cycle filtering overnight is a cool idea, but I don't see how air pressure would make it work. Eventually, it would reach equilibrium and not flow anymore wouldn't it?
Yeah, I just thought of that this morning, my bad on that one, that way will only work with an actual pump, if you could find an old pressure washer pumpp or something and hook it up to a suitable electric motor with belts/pulleys, with enough tinkering you could make it work that way.

Preacherboy

I will take pictures of my filtering set up that I just got done building last night. Now I just have to collect some waste motor oil and go pick up the truck from GL to see if it will all work.

I have a rotary hand pump that I picked up at Harbor freight, and a fuel filter plus a water separator with a hose coming out the end. Like I say, hopefully the pump will push it through the 2 filters. I'd like to get a higher micron rated filter to be first in line, but I couldn't find one within my price range. The filters I picked up are each rated at 10 microns and I got them from TSC.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Finally a thread that I have plenty of experience in. The best I've found it to get a drum or drum type container depending on the volume of oil you plan on having. Tap it a few inches from the bottom, not at the very bottom. When you fill it pour the oil through a sock type filter. Leave the oil settle out for at least two weeks, longer is always better. Then open the tap and filter from there. Now don’t tell anyone this because they will say I’m crazy, but I don’t filter any farther than this. What this will do is allow any water and most particulate matter to fall to the bottom where you won't be drawing from. The same works for WVO. But the best filter of all, in MHO, is a centrifuge. Just my two cents and as always I'm sure someone else has a reason why this is a bad idea also.

Barrman

I know it was already pointed out, but don't for any reason put more than 15-20 psi into a steel 55 gallon drum. I had my regulator set at 15, oil flowed fine. Then it slowed, so I turned up to 20, didn't help much, so I went just a little turn on the regulator more. I walked over to look at the oil flowing out the hose and "WHUUUMMMMPPPPPP!" The drum with about 45 gallons of oil in it now had round ends and was wanting to roll over. I released the air, got the drum leaned up against something and said a prayer of thanks that my hand, arm or head wasn't over the drum when that happened and that it didn't blow all the way apart.

1-1/2" line is now the smallest I use when air is the method of moving oil to or from drums. If you want to use air alone to move oil, get a propane tank and be careful. I have come to believe that a diaphram pump either electric, gasoline or air powered is the best way to move oil while filtering it.

Avn-Tech

Filtering WMO

Group,

I have a centrifuge for filtering WMO/Trans Fluid, and I am glad that I filter my oil. Like was said in a previous post, most of the particulate matter will settle to the bottom of a tank if let sit long enough. Also heating (sunshine) will help to settle the oil.

While this is may be enough filtering, there are componets that can be dammaged if the oil is not filtered properly. Hopefully your trucks filters will stop anything before it gets to you pump and injectors and causes dammage. But then you will spend more on filters and time changing them. So the question is pay now or pay later when you have a truck that does not run.

When cleaning my filter, I do not see much crud, but it is worth the peace of mind. Currently we use oil as fast as it can be filtered. Between my friends and I we have four Deuces.

On my set up, I use a 55 gallon barrel, Dieselcraft OC-50 and Pump. I fill the barrel, set my pump pressure, and then work around the shop for a couple of hours. I occassionally walk by and recheck the pressures while runnning the load. Then use the same pump to empy my barrel and start the process over.

The amount of oil we have filtered so far has easily paid for the setup ($1100 / $3.00/55 Gal = 7 Loads to break even). We currently have about 500 gal, still waiting to be filtered.

Laterrr
Avn-tech

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks