• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cool photos of russian bombers in UK airspace

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice pictures indeed!
An interesting (well, to me anyway) side note - variable geometry bombers intercepted by variable geometry fighters. (variable geometry as in swing-wing).

Cheers

saddamsnightmare

March 26th, 2010.

The Russion TU-160 is very similar in general form to our old Valkyrie in design, except that the engines are probably wing mounted as opposed to being in a nacelle on the underbody. I wonder what issue of Russian Playboy the pilots held up for the fighters inspection, as they always used to do that to US Fighter pilots in the bad old days before the wall came down. The bear probably needs more watching then they have been getting of late.....

Note that there are currently no long range strategic replacements scheduled in the pipeline for the B-52.... I wonder when the first B-52 will be due for its social security check, or will it have to keep working instead of retirement????:?

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

hklvette

March 26th, 2010.

The Russion TU-160 is very similar in general form to our old Valkyrie in design, except that the engines are probably wing mounted as opposed to being in a nacelle on the underbody. I wonder what issue of Russian Playboy the pilots held up for the fighters inspection, as they always used to do that to US Fighter pilots in the bad old days before the wall came down. The bear probably needs more watching then they have been getting of late.....

Note that there are currently no long range strategic replacements scheduled in the pipeline for the B-52.... I wonder when the first B-52 will be due for its social security check, or will it have to keep working instead of retirement????:?

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:
IIRC, the B-1 was based on the Tu-160 design.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Note that there are currently no long range strategic replacements scheduled in the pipeline for the B-52.... I wonder when the first B-52 will be due for its social security check, or will it have to keep working instead of retirement????:???:
I saw a program about the B-52 on the History Channel........one of the pilots they interviewed was youger than the "BUFF" (Big Ugly Fat F**ker) he was flying......ironically his father flew the same plane when he was an active duty pilot.

If you want to read a good fiction book about the B-52 get a copy of "Flight of the Old Dog".

With the upgrades to its systems the B-52 can still deliver a huge load of "dumb bombs" or many advanced "smart weapons".

We probably got more bang for our buck from that plane than any other combat bomber we ever produced.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the B-1 was based on the Tu-160 design.
No, if anything it is the other way around, the B-1 is a much older plane with concept design starting in the late 60's, first hardware flown early 70's. The Tu-160 is also a lot bigger.

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks