• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

willys help

Speedy

alright so I have a chance at what I think is the civi verson of the m38.
since it has no ownership I am thinking of making it into a bush runner.

how hard is it to get the engine going?
I would just need to make sure the clutch/gas/break pedals work?

just debating wether to get this or not.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 134ci flathead "L" engine is about as simple as engines come. It's a great start if you're new to playing with older vehicles.

That model is a CJ2A or CJ3A, the civvy equivalent of the M38. A lot of the parts are interchangeable between the models.

If the price is right, under $1K, I'd say buy it. You might be surprised, but virtually every part for that jeep is still available today, either new or rebuilt.

Here's a pic of the CJ3A that I owned a few years back. Once you own a flat-fender jeep, you will miss having one forever.

Attachments

Speedy

The 134ci flathead "L" engine is about as simple as engines come. It's a great start if you're new to playing with older vehicles.

That model is a CJ2A or CJ3A, the civvy equivalent of the M38. A lot of the parts are interchangeable between the models.

If the price is right, under $1K, I'd say buy it. You might be surprised, but virtually every part for that jeep is still available today, either new or rebuilt.

Here's a pic of the CJ3A that I owned a few years back. Once you own a flat-fender jeep, you will miss having one forever.
muahahahahah can you say freeeeeeeeeee.

im just so torn it doesnt have a title/ownership!
definatly wont be a rebuild if I get it.

need something that legally runs on the road to rebuild

aaron92685

If it tells you anything about the "L" head engine, When I was about 14 years old my dad got a old 52 Willys CJ-3A with the "L" head engine. Sat for about 10 to 12 years. I had it going with just a few hours of work. With out anyone else help. I don't think you could find a easier engine to work on. My dad could not believe I had it going with out anyone else help.

Speedy

does anyone know if I can still get a title to drive on the road?
any procedures I am overlooking to still give this jeep some road hope

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone know if I can still get a title to drive on the road?
any procedures I am overlooking to still give this jeep some road hope
The "Search" function is your friend.

There are places that can provide you a title for this Jeep easily. Do a search on "title services" on this board, you'll be surprised at the amount of info there is here.

Speedy

well how the **** can you drive a rat rod on the road when you toss things together lol.
anyways, if its still around when my ride is ready tomorrow the jeep will be in my possession.

Speedy

hi Maddawg I just rolled it off the trailer right now onto my driveway!
will get pictures on a sunny day, its a project no doubt.

it was going to be a bush runner, but just talked to the ministry of transportation here in toronto and they said its no problem to get it titled and on the road, they ran down the instructions and its easy enough.
so now it has potential for a restore still undecided.

91W350

They are super simple! I put a 350 in one in my wilder days and when you could still find nice ones parked in yards and garages all around the country. To tell you how long that has been, the 350 was a new size for Chevrolet.... Coupled with a 465 Muncie truck transmission and an adapter to the stock transfer case, it was an axle twisting wonder, which is why we departed. I also spent some time helping work on several of these. One thing you want to make sure to do if you rebuild that engine is to put the throttle linkage on the back of the block before you install it in the Jeep. That is mission imposible if the engine is in the hole. The engines were Continental flathead four cylinders and they were used in everything from generators to combines. I am sure any engine part you might need is readily available.

I re-arched the springs by drawing an arcing chalk line on the driveway and hours of beating on the springs with a sledge hammer on the vise and anvil at the edge of the driveway. Those days are gone my friend. I no longer tear spring packs apart and beat each leaf into the arch I am looking for.....

Grab it, take your time messing with it, decide what you want to do and go for it. I wish I had mine back, it would have narrowed 9" Fords at both ends and they would not be in 5.38 gear ratio either. Glen

Speedy

hi 91W350

thank you! so far allot of people are trying to get me to restore. my neighbor that helped me retrieve it was surprised at its condition, he owned one plenty of years ago but got rid of it because at that time parts were harder to find and he was always looking in the classifieds in the papers for parts.

he told me if I ever decided on riding of it that he wants first dibs.

I have a question, what is the password to open the tool box under the passenger seat?
I cant figure out how to move the seat and open the door lol!

my family loves this jeep.

91W350

I think it is just a spring latch. One of mine had a hinged seat that stayed attached and the other had slots, you tipped the seat forward and lifted it out of the bracket.

Speedy

I have an opportunity to pickup a M38 frame axles transmission for 500$ sandblasted and painted altho rust is starting.

would the M38 frame work for the CJ2A set up? mounting of everything like body and engine?

jimm1009

I would recommend blowing all the crap out from around the spark plugs, removing them, and then dumping in some light weight oil and let it sit for a week if you can stand to wait that long. Motor it over with the plugs removed to avoid a hydraulic lock in case the rings are really tight. If yo have the correct nut on the crank you can hand crank it too.
The nut with the pin is required for the crank.
If a ring is stuck then it could snap when forced to move but you could always pull the head and see what it looks like.
Only a new head gasket would be required which is probably a very good idea anyway.
Good luck and let us know what you have up your sleeve.

jimm1009

Speedy

sooo.

Today my dad and the mechanic neighbor talked all day about the CJ2A.
took the front rim off as I need to patch the tube so I can roll this beast around if needed.
also got started on the engine, the spark plugs were all crapola, sheered off where the porcelain is, gave everything some soaking in penetrating oil, will leave for awhile to do its thing.

cleaned up the body as their was allot of dust leaves etc in it, turns out its worse then I had originally thought. :(
tool box, well its no more, it has been bolted to the bed as it rusted out. the tub is rusted allot.... how bad I dont know I never worked around this stuff. :(

still not sure what to do, but I am working on the thing still.

its still raining and gloomy so no pics yet.
will probably post up a video and walk around when its nice out.

Speedy

here are some pics.
my friend called it the ventriloquist something like it says its bad ass without my mouth moving?... something like that :???:

engine is stuck. narrowed it down to 1 cylinder after soaking them all in transmission oil + WD40. also a guy that restored a MB will be stopping by to give advice, looking forward to that :)

68t

speedy you might be hooked , now on jeeps. The willys is very easy to work on. i got a mb i am working on, also got a junked out 48 cj 2, You can find all the parts you need. i am in a old willy club here, they have part for sell all the time. also check out g503 they have a lot of new and used part for sale. Do you live near nigara fall and grand island,

Speedy

hi 68T
I love this jeeeeeep :D
I think your right hooked hehe.

yes Niagara falls is close to me, I am actually going sometime this week :)

I am going to start a new folder for all my jeep favorites for parts etc :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks