• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions on g506

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That light looks to be the blackout drive light bucket. Usually it is perched on a special mount attached to the grill, somewhat above the headlight. I would leave your setup in place until I was sure it was not an authorized Modification Work Order (MWO) for adding the blackout light. The horn for sure does not go there, and it is not the right horn. It is a old GM horn though, that will fit lots of other vehicles. Sell it at a swap meet.

Nice Chevy!

mhassett

racerlee;
My blackout light is mounted the same as yours.
Grill is identical also.
The horn is not correct, and mounts inside the engine compartment under the hood.:driver:

paulfarber

BO driving lights were added as a retrofit to most support vehicles. So, to 'be as correct as possible' you will need to date the trucks assembly (hopefully you have a set of data plates with a DoD). Then its a quick check in Army Motors to see if your truck would have a factory or retrofit type BO light. I don't believe that any of the retrofit lights were identical to production lights.

The possible options are:
yes, that is a correct, production BO light
no, your truck should have a refit light, but someone found a grill with the production light
no, your truck predated even the retrofit kit and never had a BO light installed.

You just gotta pick how 'correct' you want to be. Most refit BO light kits are spendy, one for a CCKW can easily run $300+... if you can find one.

Copies of Army Motors are available from TM9-801.com under Army Motors.

Last edited:

racerlee

Paulfarber, the DoD is the "Date on Delivery" Correct? I'll take a look, I know that the data plates are still in the cab. If I remember correctly that the Date on Delivery was in 44 sometime.

paulfarber

The refit kits came out in July, 1942 so if your truck is a 44 then you would have the production light .

I did error n saying I have the AM that has the refit kit. The July, 1942 issue of AM is the one with all the refit kit info. The article itself is available in "Military Maintenance for MB/GPW Jeeps 1941-45", Robert Notman or you can buy the complete AM library from Portrayal Press for like $150. Its the old microfilms reproduced.. I don't know the quality of the reprints, but if its the same as the ones in the Notman book it can be anywhere from acceptable to big black splotches.

www.vehiclesofvictory.com (B. Muller) is a Chevy vendor... he should be able to give you much more info that I can.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks