• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got my WMO pump assembled

Josh

After much procrastination, I got the pump built and dry tested. Havent got to move oil with it yet, that happens in a few hours when I get off work.

Basicly I follwed the instructions on how to convert a chevy small block oil pump into a transfer pump, and coupled it to a 1hp washer motor. Ill report back on how well it works.

Here is a few pictures.

Attachments

Josh

I use the gear off the end of a junk chevy disributer. I punched out the pin, removed the gear, took a 1/2 bit to make the large enough to fit over the motor shaft. Put the pin back in, and pounded the gear onto the end of the shaft, untill the pin stoped it, then the slot on the pump fits in perfectly.

OEFISHER

Yes it will work. I built one and it pumps about 7 gal per minute just using by 18v drill. I have never timed it hooked up to the 120v motor.

RAYZER

Looks good! I think I may need one of those, would this work as a recovery pump? Would it pump oil out of a container on the ground and pump it up into a drum in the back of a deuce at a reasonable rate?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the same set up. My prob is that I'm not sure what pick-up hose to use that can handle the type of fuels and not collapse under suction. Would like to be able to run a long pick-up hose. Have tried a few things and I keep getting sections sucked flat. Would also like to NOT spend HUGE amounts on the hose.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! I think I may need one of those, would this work as a recovery pump? Would it pump oil out of a container on the ground and pump it up into a drum in the back of a deuce at a reasonable rate?
That is what I'm doing w/ it, only into the 105's tanks.

dmetalmiki

suitable pump

Now THAT looks a great candidate for a nice Pre-prime oil pressure pump for a deuce or 5 ton. (as) It seems it can be driven? by a moderately powered 12/24volt motor?...... (now, for to me to find n' old chevy engine or similar..somewhere ) but that IS going to be my very next project..and I will keep that progress posted...

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds good! About how long does it take to fill a 55gal drum?
At this point not really sure. I've just added that on to the trailer and used some cheap garden hose to test it . . . the hose collapses when I'm sucking up thick oil.
Today we dropped about $100 on some hose that will stand up to fuel and (hopefully) will not collapse.
Won't be drawing any more fuel for a few days while we travel. Will be having to get more in a couple/few days.

Now THAT looks a great candidate for a nice Pre-prime oil pressure pump for a deuce or 5 ton. (as) It seems it can be driven? by a moderately powered 12/24volt motor?...... (now, for to me to find n' old chevy engine or similar..somewhere ) but that IS going to be my very next project..and I will keep that progress posted...
It can be driven w/ a 24v electric scooter motor. Right now I've got it hooked to a 1/3 horse motor from a swap cooler and that works, but . . . I need to have it powered from the 24v so that I can draw from anywhere.
The main prob that I have w/ the pump is that it's meant to be submersed and so it doesn't run gaskets between the pieces, therefor it weeps. I've talked w/ the "Hot Rod" guys here that all run chevys and they say you can put gaskets in between because you will lose the pumping.

I've also heard that you can mod a power steering pump to work. That might be better being that it shouldn't weep.

dozer1

What did you get for hose lowtech? I would think old hydraulic hose would work well. It is designed for extreme pressure with steel braiding but I cant imagine it getting sucked shut by a sbc oil pump sucking wmo.

PropDr

The main prob that I have w/ the pump is that it's meant to be submersed and so it doesn't run gaskets between the pieces, therefor it weeps. I've talked w/ the "Hot Rod" guys here that all run chevys and they say you can put gaskets in between because you will lose the pumping.

Try some Permatex #2 on the pump cover.

RAYZER

ok, seeing this thread prompted me to build one. i threaded the barbs in and can use the pressure relife feature on the pump and use a supply handle if needed or in case a filter gets cloged. with the 600 rpm drill i get about 4.5 gpm,not enough for recovery transfer. im looking into a 1040rpm 1/3 hp motor, it should deliver about 8 gpm then, i am also going to try a 12v genny starter motor and see what happens. next one i build i think i'll use a bbc pump.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks