• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fight for Registration

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's awesome! We love it. :D

Are you near some railroad tracks? They look really narrow.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The West Texas Detachment welcomes and SALUTES the member who it REALLY detached way down under:-D Your truck is beautiful:!:

I'd love to hear more of your truck (and that set of railroad tracks, too).

Oh, and..... As I frequently advise new members....
Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver: (Although it seems you ARE on your way alreadyaua)

saddamsnightmare

April 19th, 2010.

Guido:

Let's hear more about the CCKW :drool:and the 60CM railroad tracks under the truck (guessing guage, I could be off).[thumbzup] Because Australia was part of Her or His Majesty's Dominions of old, there may have been some tendency to reutilize the 60 CM (1'-11-1/2") trench railroad equipment of WWI on the farms and in rural districts as local haulage systems. Here in the US, the Winchester and Western Railroad (of Virginia), had a line to Wardensville, West Virginia torn out sometime around WWII. There was a sawmill at Wardensville and I believe one at Gore, Virginia, the Wardensville mill was owned by the Lost River Lumber Company, which fed its mill with a series of 60CM lines using American WWI trench railroad equipment. Supposedly they lost a loaded car over the hill on the Dog Run line, which was not recovered by the lumber company and whose metal parts may still be there, if they weren't salvaged during a WWII scrap drive....

In any case, have a good time with the CCKW, and remember, if you should bring it stateside to an event, we drive on the right side of the road....:driver:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:grin:

guido

Hello guys,
Sorry for the delayed reply to you interest in the railway and our truck.

The truck is a 1944 GMC CCKW 353 long wheel base cargo body. Its been in a couple of movies since its DOD and has had some hard days on farms and service.

Its had all new bearings put through out the axles the owner prior to us put about 4 thousand in the breaks rebuild and about 5k in new tyres.
Got a new motor for it on the way waiting on the rebuild of the motor to put it in i have 2 very good options,
1, put in rebuilt Cummins 6cylinder deisel.
2, put in the rebuilt GMC motor (rebuilding a secondhand GMC motor with the help of Cummins engineering 3.5k in rebuild).

The truck is getting a new tray built by my brothers in the local town they are both boiler makers and helping build one to the same spec as the one thats on it. Got a complete spare body about 80km from where i am that i use for spares i am looking at putting it back together as its got a winch and everything on it. I have a friend to the south thats bringing up the original army spec tracks that go over the bogie drive on the rear and also getting a set made for the front wheels.

In regards to the railway i work for a 2ft sugar railway and thats one of the picturesk lines that i'm getting married on in about 3 weeks. we cart about 250k tonnes of raw sugar cane from the area above where the pictures taken. There are a couple of pictures attached with locos in the same area. We also have one line that we call langes line and its a line thats laid directly on a river bed and just about every dry season we re-ballast the line in there to make it service able we get between 12 and 16 meters of water over the line in the wet season where the truck is sitting i have seen 10 meters of water running through there in the wet when i was looking for a drowned person in the wet season before last. I am sure i have more pics of the truck through its rebuild i will look for them and post them up if you like.

I've also got a few other toys in the yard and still to be brought home;

1. M35 wrecker
2. 32tonne american army tank.
3. Army blitz crane
4. 2 fordson tractors circa 1940
5. 1 Massey Ferguson loader tractor circa 1950

Anyway guys i will let you all go and have a look at the pics enjoy till then keep the wheels a turning.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the narrow gauge railroad! I run trains for the Air Force here stateside. I also own some pieces of RR rolling stock, both happen to be ex-military. Rail and OD, my two addictions. Very nice looking CCKW and I would keep her original with the motor.

paulfarber

Great job thanks for sticking with it. BTW did all CCKW's have timken axles ?
No, the majority did have split (as opposed to banjo) axles. Early in production there was a problem getting enough axles so they used another source and they had the banjo type. In just about every TM they are referred to as split/banjo type. The only Tm that references them any other way (and only breifly) is TM9-1801. Some body types seemed to get more that their share of banjo's.

The SN suffix for banjo axles is '2' (ie the last number in the frame SN would be CCKW-35X-XXXXXX-Y2). Would be a good idea to actually check, they are interchangeable.. but not 'bolt on' (you would need to swap some suspension and engine parts). Or it could be just a big CCKW salad.

He OPs truck is ok, steel bed is questionable, as a CCKW with no tool mounts is a late 43 feature and composite bed did not start till 44. It *could* be a mid 42 as the wood beds started in Sept 42 and open cabs started before that time.

ADDED:

I see that the OP says the truck is a 44 (by DoD) so that would put a composite bed on it. Also definitely need some pioneer tool mounts on the running boards. Also a gas can mount. It would be interesting to see the frame SN posted as well as DoD to give an idea of other frame SNs for around that period.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks