• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sevo's Goats...

Sevo

My goats made it to my house this past Sunday. I was very happy to see them pull into my drive way ;). They were in better shape than I had expected.

I will restore one and then work on the other. I started with the winched goat first. I will be making it a M-792. It will be a fully functional ambulance. I know the 792 didnt come with winches, but I want this one to have one. If I ever need it I will be happy I have it. Papacom/Bill is helping get all of the parts together to make the 792 complete. Bill has also been a great resource for me. Thanks Bill I really appreciate all of your time on the phone and your advice.

The first thing I started with was to drain all of the fluids. The oil looked great. It was not milky and did not smell of diesel. Both Fuel tanks were about 3/4 full and the diesel didnt look too bad. The bottom of the fuel tanks had a bunch of gunk and sludge in the bottom but no rust. I cleaned both of the tanks out and remounted them. The aluminum inside the tanks looked great and cleaned up well.

I have changed all of the filters except the oil. I will do that tomorrow. If murph stays off my back I will see if she will turn over, lets hope she does!

I want to thank Eric and Bill from Hot shot trucking. They are true professionals. They loaded and unloaded the goats without any problems. Mind you, the goats do not run. They were on time and kept me informed the entire way. Without a doubt, I will use them again for all of my MV hauling. Thank you again guys for everything. Please stop by place to have a cold one if you're ever in the alien nation again ;)

I have a lot of work to do. I will post updates as it comes along. I will stop rambling now and post some pictures.

Attachments

area52

Wonder if the warranty is still good? :grin:

Are you gonna give rides if I make it down there this summer?

Good luck on the repairs/restoration.

Alredneck

Banned
Gama Goats are sweet! Nice haul!

Its to bad about GOVT restrictions on these. There is a wall of them in OK but the state supposedly cant sell them to the public, shame!

Sevo

Wonder if the warranty is still good? :grin:

Are you gonna give rides if I make it down there this summer?

Good luck on the repairs/restoration.

I know I thought that was funny about the warranty. I started to call the hot line ;)

Thanks, and anytime you want to come down you are more than welcome. You can take her out.

RDUKW

Looks like you got a nice haul of Goats. That is one vehicle that is still on my list to add to the collection.

Ryan

I am sooooo jealous!!

they look a treat, keep us up to date on the rebuilds.

Notice you took advantage of the tyre special aswell.

Spock

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, you had to move 1500mile away, didn't you! lol

They look great man, can't wait to hear one purrr, oh wait, its got a detroit. Can't wait to hear it SCREAM. :driver:

Sevo

Thanks guys for the kind words. It great to see others that appreciate goats too ;)

**Update 4/28/10**

I got off early from work and headed to Carquest for a few odds and ends. Like 5 gals of 80-90 gear oil , oil filter and of course PB blaster.... **** MVs are expensive.

When I got home I started in on getting her running . I replaced the oil filter and installed the batteries. I did a once over to make all was in order. Then I did another once over and made sure all was ok for take off.

I flipped the power switch and hit the start button. She turned over!!! It was a good start. I took a deep breath and hit the button again.. She turned over again... I hit the start button again and we had ignition :jumpin:.. She runs!!!!!! The oil pressure climbed to 30 and all sounded good. I was pretty **** happy.

I let her run for a few min and then I shut her down. It is a great feeling to know she runs. I am so happy about it.

I finished the day off by draining and replacing all of the differential, transfer case, transmission and front steering box oil. That was a chore but it got done.

With a tip from popacom I checked to make sure my tansfer case pump was primed and oiling the top of the case. I cracked the "out" line from the pump and started her back up. With everything in neutral the transfer case shaft still turns and oil was coming out of the pump [thumbzup]...

Well with all the good I knew Murphy would show up.

I could not get the back inspection cover off to change the rear steering box fluids. It seems to have rusted to the hole. As you can see by the picture I sheared the nut off from the force I had against it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off? I cant take the screws out of the panel either as they are stuck as well and will just strip out.??? Any input is appreciated.

Does anyone know where I can get the fuel line in the second picture? It has a small crack in it.

Last, take a look at the last picture. This is the tank balancing fuel line. It comes from the bottom of the fuel tank. this too has a crack in it. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for that?

I have to say it was a great day and I can be happier that she runs. My next project is the breaks.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Sevo if you cant find the line in NM head west over to Jacks Surplus in Tuscon, AZ. He has some goats over there and could get you a used line. He may have a new one, who knows he has a bunch of stuff. I know where a bunch are in OK might can make a phone call. I have two deuces we bought in Lawton to pickup next week.

goat whisperer

congratulations!!!:jumpin:

You got two nice goats, and I´m shure it will be like Mike says:

You'll love em and you'll hate em :mrgreen:

If you can´t find the fuel lines I´ll check my spare parts...
I think I have what you are looking for but sending them to US will be expensive (about $ 25)
First try to get them in your home country...

Good luck! [thumbzup]

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,
The fuel lines can be made up at a hydraulic shop - take the old ones in and tell them you need new ones the same length and fittings (and what will be running through them). New commercial stuff will probably last a lot longer than NOS or used parts.2cents

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to sale a set of the cab bows I have a new top for mine can't find the hardware for the cab I have the ones for the back are do you know if the person you got your GOAT from might have some? AEC Retired Tony

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Goats you got goats,,,, Wonder if you want to adopt a 60 y.o. son? I don`t require much up keep for a ,whats that you call me , pump head. I just might be tempted to visit Roswell. Goats,,,, Man I know you can`t drive them both.:p

Good haul ! !

Sevo

Cpt and ULF, Thank you for the offers. Dont go far, I will need other parts for sure ;)

I got them fixed today. I took Mike's advice and went to a hydraulic shop. They took care of me. Mike, thank you for the heads up on where to go. YOu saved me a ton of time. Thank you. This is why I really enjoy this site.

I also got the inspection cap off. I took a screw driver and a sledge hammer and worked it around until it popped off. The threads were so badly rusted there was no way it was coming off. I just hope the threads in the aluminum are ok. They look fine. I will see when I put a new one on it. I have attached a pic to see how rusted it was.

Once I got the last steering box topped off I decided to see if the transmission works. I fired her up and put her in first then reverse. So far so good! She rolled forward and backwards. SO I cant put it to a true test as I still don't have any breaks. But its nice to know she goes into gear and that the transfer case is working.

Next is the breaks.

Sevo

Goats you got goats,,,, Wonder if you want to adopt a 60 y.o. son? I don`t require much up keep for a ,whats that you call me , pump head. I just might be tempted to visit Roswell. Goats,,,, Man I know you can`t drive them both.:p

Good haul ! !
Neil, you are always welcomed. LOL, I forgot about the pump head. How is the noggin treating you?? Please come and visit, it would be great to have you here. I know stef would love to see you too.

Sevo

You want to sale a set of the cab bows I have a new top for mine can't find the hardware for the cab I have the ones for the back are do you know if the person you got your GOAT from might have some? AEC Retired Tony
Hello,

No I cant sell them as I do not have any spares. He may have an extra set around. It cant hurt to ask

Good luck