• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy in town with a few questions

vanillagorilla

Good afternoon, I am brand new to the site and I have some questions. I am looking at a 1965 unimog. The guy told me that it was a French version and has a flathead v8 powering it. He told me that the distributer is cracked, but it will still run. Is the flathead v8 a common engine in the mogs? How hard is it to find parts for this engine? Also he told me that it is tagged, titled and street legal, does this just transfer with me registering it or do I need to additional paperwork to get a tag? Should I stay away and wait for a diesel mog? Please help me out, I am very excited to get a chance to own one. I have always wanted one but never found the right one for me. I like this one and the price.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off welcome to SS. Nice to see another member in Florida. There's a Florida meet coming up in 5 weks. Hope you can make it.

As far as the Unimog's engine I don't have a clue. :-D But with the registration and tags you will not get the license plate that is on it right now as it belongs to the last owner in Florida. What you will get would be a signed title that you will take to DMV. You will need to pay for new plates unless you have a current plate from a vehicle you recently sold. If the vehicle was not registered in Florida it will need to have the VIN verified. Will also need to bring proof of insurance with you to DMV in order to get the tags.

Ruppster

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The guy told me that it was a French version and has a flathead v8 powering it
Does it have a white flag attached?????roflrofl

Sorry.....I am comedy impaired.

Welcome to the site.

I know as much about Mogs as I do about Chinese algebra. Maybe some of the Mog owners will chime in.

Mogs and the FL rally go hand in hand.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, and welcome!

You undoubtedly know that the '65 Unimogs, model 404, came with an inline 6 cylinder engine, 2.2 L, gas. No other engines were used. That V8 is a swap in. That could be good, or it could be bad.

404 mogs are notoriously low powered. Some people think they are underpowered. Some of us are perfectly content to go slow and use the gears. Adding power can be a problem. The transmission in a 404 is a slow speed tractor transmission, evolved from an early Unimog with 25 or 34 hp. The low power engine protects the transmission.

Running such a tranny behind a more powerful motor can cause heating of bushings in the tranny and burn them up. Any speed over roughly 45 - 50 mph range for long stretches can cause trouble. There might be nothing wrong with this tranny or this engine installation, but be forewarned, it's not standard issue.

How was such a wide engine shoe-horned into the 404 engine compartment? That's normally not possible. Would this happen to be an installation with the engine behind the tranny and with connection through a V-drive?

There's nothing wrong with a French-owned Unimog. My '57 is ex-French and was a fine truck. The same basic 404 chassis went to the French, who had a slightly different bed installed, different from Swiss 404s, or German/Belgium/etc 404s.

The French had a poor reputation for maintenance though. Since this truck has been privately owned for some time that is not an issue, probably.

I normally say that getting any Unimog is a good thing, but please be aware that you are getting a highly modified truck that will put you up against problems not common with unmodified trucks, and that other 404 owners might not be much help with specialized troubleshooting or parts. The distributor is a good example. What engine and distributor do you ask for parts for?????

Best of luck,

Bob

Good afternoon, I am brand new to the site and I have some questions. I am looking at a 1965 unimog. The guy told me that it was a French version and has a flathead v8 powering it. He told me that the distributer is cracked, but it will still run. Is the flathead v8 a common engine in the mogs? How hard is it to find parts for this engine? Also he told me that it is tagged, titled and street legal, does this just transfer with me registering it or do I need to additional paperwork to get a tag? Should I stay away and wait for a diesel mog? Please help me out, I am very excited to get a chance to own one. I have always wanted one but never found the right one for me. I like this one and the price.

XM 2742

The French truck has a tendency to shift into reverse at the first sign of enemy troops and return to the mother of the owner.

n1bnc

There is a French design truck that is out there that came with a flat head ford and conventional transmission/transfer case. It is a unimog looking like truck. As to a flat head or other v6 or v8 engine in front of a 404 unimog transmission I would not expect the transmission to last too long behind such power. I happen to have a unimog for sale. It fits the criteria you have, it is listed in the classifieds.

Finally:

nopics

tractors0130

The French had a military vehicle called the SUMB (Simca Unic Marmon Bocqet) with a ford flathead V-8 and portal axles that is similiar to the Unimog. Found a link below with pics.

FRENCH SUMB

Last edited:

vanillagorilla

I am in lakeland. I have been doing alot of reading online and have read about the SUMB. This is however a unimog. Whether the engine is a transplant or not I havent a clue. I am going wednesday to look at it and will snap some pics. I will be trailering it home on saturday, so I will have all the pics in the world this weekend. Also I have to work the weekend of the florida get together, but will be able to make it that Saturday for the festivities. I cant wait!

Travis89xj

I know sixspeed has 2 mogs. He is in tampa, well his mogs are but he's up in gainesville most of the time.

He has a stock truck but then I know he has one that is done up real nice. Might try talking to him

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The French used the 'standard' German style 404.1, but also had a slightly shorter wheelbase version. If you have one of those, that would be very cool and quite rare over here. Standard wheelbase is 114", don't recall what the short version was.
The attached picture is the French 'shorty', I don't remember where I got it on the WWW, so can't give proper credit to the pic owner.

Diesel Mogs are a lot more expensive than gasoline powered ones.

Cheers

Attachments

zack norwood

I would like to see the pics when you get the Mog home, I have a 404 and a 1950 Ford F-1 with a flat head V-8 and I can see no way that the motor could be shoe horned in with out major fire wall reconstuction. The only Ford motor I have seen swaped was the I-6 300 ci.
Zack

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks