• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD Continental Multifuel Motor Questions

Max

I just acquired an off-road vehicle that is equipped with a LD Continental series military Multifuel motor that was being run on diesel. I am new to these motors so please excuse my ignorance. I am told that it is common for the oil pressure to take 10-20 seconds to come up on these motors when first started-mine does and I assume that is normal with these motors? If so, I am told that there is an oil filter upgrade system that will provide immediate oil pressure upon starting? If so, is it worth considering this upgrade or do you just get use to it and use care not to hit the throttle until oil pressure is achieved. If so, are these oil system upgrades available anywhere? Also, the motor does not have a turbocharger and I am told that adding one will make a significant improvement-obvioulsly logical to me, but are turbocharger units/systems fairly available somewhere for these motors? Have several other questions and will search forums for more practical information but could us help with these questions as a start. Much appreciated.

1) The filter adapters are available, check the classified section.
2) Adding a turbo will clean-up the exhaust but not add much power, if any.
You can search these subjects on this site, using the "search" function, and find lots more info.

hklvette

1) The filter adapters are available, check the classified section.
2) Adding a turbo will clean-up the exhaust but not add much power, if any.
You can search these subjects on this site, using the "search" function, and find lots more info.
The adapters you are looking for are called "spin on filter kits". There are numerous sources for them on here, just do a search for the above.

Agreed on #2 with one caveat: if you add a turbo, it allows you to increase the amount of fuel you can put into the motor, which adds power.

TexAndy

I wouldn't spend money to add a turbo to an LD-465

You're looking at a difference of like 4 horsepower, I think.

I've been wondering if rather than the aftermarket spin on oil filters... why not rig up an oil pump that runs off the battery? Close the switch 5 or 10 seconds before you start, hit the ignition, and then open the switch again.

steelandcanvas

I've been wondering if rather than the aftermarket spin on oil filters... why not rig up an oil pump that runs off the battery? Close the switch 5 or 10 seconds before you start, hit the ignition, and then open the switch again.
There are a few discussion threads on pre-lubeing. Sreach pre-lube.

Max

Here is the rig the motor is in; commonly known as a Rollagon. So, do the spin on adapter oil modifications provide immediate oil pressure upon starting? I'm new to this site and appreciate all the responses and assistance.

Attachments

Max

Would also appreciate any additional comments on the turbocharger....I'm surprised that it doesn't boost the horsepower any more than that....several people who have done the additon have told me that the horsepower improvement is dramatic.....thanks again......

hklvette

First: HOLY CRAP! What a machine! more pics please :)

Second: while not instant, the oil pressure definitely picks up faster (within 3 seconds) than with the factory setup. The difference would be even more noticeable in AK.

Third: On a diesel, the amount of power you make is determined by the design of the engine internals and the amount of fuel injected. After a certain point of adding fuel, a dramatic rise in exhaust gas temps occurs as there is no longer enough air to burn the fuel quickly in the combustion chamber, also leading to smoke. A turbo adds air, which increases the possible amount of fuel that can be injected. With no change to fueling, no change in power (or very minimal) will be noticed, unless the engine was quite over-fueled before the turbo.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first M35A2 tractor conversion had the LD engine in it and I loved it. It did a great job pulling 30,000 gvw at 55 mph. Always left a light stream of smoke behind. As far as the 10 second oil pressure buildup, the multifuels have lived with that without issue since 1964, over 45 years if my math is correct.

jatonka

You can pm me for the oil filter adaptor kits. I am the original builder of thease with a proven record of satisfaction. The military didn't worry about failed engines due to no oil start-ups, they replaced lots of them. JT

Here is the rig the motor is in; commonly known as a Rollagon. So, do the spin on adapter oil modifications provide immediate oil pressure upon starting? I'm new to this site and appreciate all the responses and assistance.
That looks to have drive axles, I thought that the Rolligon had friction driven wheels.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks