• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best engine to have in a 76 deuce?

Brianmontesa

I have the 76 deuce with a 465 turbo diesel. I think I have to pull the motor soon. Does any body know if there is a better engine I can drop in?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a few oil mods, the multifuel will last quite a while. What is wrong with your multifuel?

Brianmontesa

I bought this thing a couple months ago and I'm having some engine problems. It looks like there is a large coolant leak coming from the intercooler where it bolts to head. The studs and nuts looks fine, but the verticle bolts on top holding the top coolant ports are frozen in.
I can tell several of them are going to break when I try to twist them off.

I think I can get away with leaving them on, but they will have to come off if the "O" rings go.

This is all new to me. Any ideas?

mudguppy

off the top of my head, in order:

6bta, 6bt, dt360, perkins 354, 4bta, Isuzu 6 or 4, Ferd 7.3 PSD, DD 4-53T, Ferd 534, Cheby 427 Y, Cheby 305 V6, Ferd/Cheby/Dodge big block, Ford 300 I6, Dodge small block, Cheby small block ....

any of them are better candidates for "long distance reliability."

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A better question is, whats the best transmission and then, what's the best axle ratio and then, what's the best tires.

Love your MV for what it is. Fix the simple bolt fix(that you can foresee) and roll on!

nhdiesel

:ditto: Put a little heat to those nuts on top of the studs at least mine are studs with nuts, not bolts) then remove the nuts. Get some new gaskets, O-rings, whatever these use, remove the cooler, clean the bolt threads and run a tap through the nuts. Reassemble and most likely, enjoy your truck for years to come.

For motors- You asked what bolts to this transmission. Well the Spicer trans isn't bad, but there are better. If you want something simple, smooth, and reliable, get a 5.9 Cummins (any 12-valve, whatever you can find a deal on) and 5-speed from a 2 WHEEL DRIVE Dodge, and bolt that assembly in. You get better trans ratios, smoother shifting, good power, and the whole setup should last virtually forever in a "hobby truck".

Mudguppy mentioned the 4bta...its the 4 cyl. little brother to the 5.9. Believe it or not that little engine is very close to the Deuce in terms of power. With minor tuning (under $50 invested) you can get more power and turn more RPMs. But this engine is actually more expensive than the more widely used 6b.

Jim

mudguppy

Thanks for the input, but will any of those motors go on that transmision?
yes. all of these motors are, or are used in, industrial applications, which means that they have, or can have, an SAE engine adapter:

• 6bta / 6bt
  • dt360
  • perkins 354
  • 4bta / 4bt
  • Isuzu 6 or 4
  • Ferd 7.3 PSD
  • DD 4-53T
  • Ferd 534
  • Cheby 427 Y
  • Cheby 305 V6
as far as transmissions, nhdiesel is right on the money as far as i'm concerned. although at the same time, i disagree with him - i think that the 5spd Spicer is a bad transmission when considering torque input rating, parts availability, and reliability.

the only thing the Spicer has in it's favor is that it is tiny. if you haven't already taken a look at it, it is one of the shortest 5 spd trans even produced in a [technically] medium duty application.

and, no, a standard 2wd NV4500 (from behind a Cummins) will not fit - it is still too long. you will have to make a Dodge/Cheby hybrid NV4500. ask me how i know... :|

Unforgiven

Remember when it comes to torque ... there's no replacement for displacement.

I would avoid the smaller engines. Since you are going through the trouble of swapping, put a decent "upgrade" in the truck. The 5.9 ISB is probably the smallest to consider for an upgrade. That's roughly a 350 c.i. engine. You need low end torque.

Any, I repeat ANY, engine can be swapped into this truck with a little ingenuity. Whether that means a 2" body lift, some sheet metal work to the firewall, or slightly shifting the transfer case rearward ... well that's half the fun isn't it? Trying to re-engineer something is good mental exercise. That's why it's a hobby ... keeps you busy.

Personally, I'm going to swap in an 8.3L Cummins in as soon as I can this coming year. The 8.3L is right at 500 c.i.d. with more hp or torque than one would ever need in this truck. Plus it weighs 400 lbs less than the multifuel 465 c.i.d.

I would stay with an inline 6 diesel because of the basic layout of the Deuce. But I'm sure a Duramax or other engine could be adapted by a creative person.

Losing the belt-driven radiator fan (replaced w/slimline electric fan) coupled with relocating the transfer case rearward would allow for many, many possible engines/transmissions. And nearly all of them have SAE 2 or 3 bell housings.

nhdiesel

The 8.3 would be an excellent motor, but expect to pay a premium. I've seen Dodge trucks with 8.3s in place of the 5.9, so they aren't much larger. I would be very happy with a 5.9 in my personal Deuce when I can get one. The one I have on hand is tuned for around 650 lbs. of torque, plenty to get a Deuce moving nicely.

Jim

nhdiesel

That's because you are in Texas. We have hills here...mountains, actually. Put a mountain in front of a Deuce and it WILL go over it, just very slowly. :)

Jim

Unforgiven

The transmission you choose will help you to decide what engine would be better. If you are keeping the Spicer then you may as well simply keep the multifuel.

If you plan a different tranny then consider another engine. Just because the bell housing fits, that doesn't necessarily mean the cluch plate, flywheel, or input shafts will be good-to-go. It might require custom spacers/shafts/pilot bearings etc.

Try to find an engine/tranny combo already bolted together if possible. That way there's no argument whether it will bolt together nicely or not.

Parker2

Would 6V92 Silver be a valid choice for replacment?I happen to have one and thought of maybe using it in a deuce.Sorry if I'm interuppting the thread.
Someone on this forum has put in a Detroit. I dont remember if it was a 6v or an 8v, but he did it. Do a little searching and maybe you can find it.
I use to have a 8v silver 92 in a commercial truck - loved that engine.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks