• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UAZ 469 parts and parts source needed in Iraq

dc3coyote

I have recentley come into possesion of a UAZ 469 with a diesel engine. It does need some parts, IE a clutch master cylinder. a headlight and some body panels. I plan to use it for a work truck while I am stationed in Baghdad and would like to bring it home with me if possible.

I would like to get the truck running as soon as possible since it will be my units only means of transportation in a few days, and with the draw down we will be extremley busy.

Thanks
DC2 Branan Rountree
Camp Liberty Iraq, USCG RAID team.

dc3coyote

Thanks, I talked to a local today, who runs a shop on base he said that he will have one of his Mechanics in town get me the parts I need.
My memory card is not loading onto my computer, so I wont be able to post any pics until tomorrow at the earliest.
I did get the flat taken care of and removed the burnt wiring. I still cant figure out why somone would put a wire running from the positive side of the battery to a switch and back to the negative. but thats gone now.
Surprisingly my First class told me that is my new priority is to make the truck run and look good. Its what I am supposed to do now when we dont have containers, or hazmat to inspect.

Thankfully I met a motor pool Sergant Major who was nice enough to let me drag it there, and allow me to work on it in his bay, when his unit is not busy. Some how I think he just wanted a project to work on as well.

B3.3T

They may have had a wired a secret power switch for theft prevention. 469s are easy to hot wire and commonly stolen in most parts of the world.

B3.3T

Good luck on that. The mechanic will probably a lot on sources. These guys are usually well connected.

Which diesel engine is it (VM/Fiat, Peugot or?) and what year is the vehicle? I have only seen gas engines in UAZ in Russian service. If you post a photo or lift a part number, I'll ask people in Russia look it up and tell you the source for it. If the clutch master cylinder the same as that on trucks equipped with Russian gasoline engines, the parts are very easy to get from Russia. Unless the inside of the cylinder and piston are badly rusted or scored, I'd just buy a rebuild kit, its cheaper to ship. Russian hydraulics are trivial to take apart and put back together. IIRC the headlight is standard for a whole bunch of Russian equipment. Body panels should be all the same, but shipping them may cost more than the truck is worth.

P.S. I don't check PMs often, feel free to email me juha_teuvonnen [at] yahoo [dot] com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks