• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A1 serial number

AMGeneral

I have a (supposedley)1973 Kaiser/Jeep M52A1 5 ton tractor,it has the Mack ENDT-673 engine but other indicators lead me to believe otherwise.This could possibly lead to a lawsuit aganist the dealer I purchased it from so any info would be helpful.The registration # is
U.S. ARMY 05F78369,and the serial # is M72411585.Any info would be helpful,Thanks.
AMGeneral

AMGeneral

The data plate does not have the manufacturer stamped or printed on it,the only stamp is on a "limited rebuild"tag on the right of the glove box.It is stamped Preformed at TOOLE"OCT 73".The truck has the old style power steering,old style metal case non-composite lights and the pass side inner fender well looks as if it was originally cut out for the R6602 downdraft exhaust.Also the hole for the stack through the right fender looks hand cut.Is there any way the manufacturer can be ID'ed from the serial #?

vtdeucedriver

Well I doubt that it was a gasser, maybe the fender was at one time. 5ton fenders took lots of abuse, esp the right side w the air cleaner can. To fit the ENDT-673 motor in the 5 ton.......the frame was notched from it design. So it will not be a straight rail at the top.

AMGeneral

I checked the upper frame rails in the engine bay,they are cut out from the factory for the Mack engine.That means that this was a factory built Mack powered A1 right?If so I was under the impression that the Mack engine was only put in the 5 tons from 62-64 after that the LDS Multi was used.Am I right or wrong here?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a narrow year for the Macks Brandon but I don't recall what it is. G744 is the Mack guru but he's not been around as of late. I'll try to find his email and get him to respond. I'm betting he's got the answers on the years.

TacticalTruck

According to David Doyle's reasearch all A1s are re-powered gassers. Some have crudely cut frames and some have factory looking notches, like my tractor. I'm guessing there was some kind of rebuild program after Vietnam because I have seen a load of Macks come out of NJ with 1973 listed as the year of the truck. The rebuild contract in the early '60's was for tractors and cargos only (David sent me a copy) but I have seen dumps, wreckers and a bolster truck w/ Mack engines. The original Macks from the early '60s program also had low exhaust. Mine still has the hanger on the frame between the duals.
Jeff

67Beast

AMGeneral said:
I have a (supposedley)1973 Kaiser/Jeep M52A1 5 ton tractor,The registration # is U.S. ARMY 05F78369,and the serial # is M72411585.Any info would be helpful,Thanks.
AMGeneral
The registration # would indicate that the truck is a 1969. Starting in 1968 the Army added the year of delivery to the end of the registration #'s to help them better keep track of the year they took delivery on it. It is possible though that the registration # came from a different truck after it left the military though. But while in service with the military that registration # was perminent to that truck.

AMGeneral

I checked the truck out today(after I drove it to work and back,It's first trip)it also has an exhaust hanger on the rear of the truck but,It's right between the RH fuel tank and the front tandem(?)I always get these wierd confabulations in trucks for some reason.But the frame notches look factory cut.Is there anyway to tell manufacturer from the serial #?

AMGeneral

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks