• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 trans/transfer install questions

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the M38A1, Does anyone have a drawing or picture of the transmission crossmember mount? I took my trans and transfer out as a unit and sent it in (to a shop for overhauling) with the crossmember still attached. I got it back as seperate pieces. The studs on the crossmember motor mount are 6" apart and the the holes on the bottom of the trans are 3" apart. What am I missing? Also, I inserted the trans shaft into the bellhousing most of the way, then got the throwout fork in place, then put the trans all the way in. I still have not got the throwout fork up in place and correctly set around the throwout bearing carrier. What a bugger to work through the small access hole. Any tricks here? I also can't see where the little spring hooks to the ??? One end fits in the small hole and boss on the throwout carrier, but I see no place to hook the other end of that spring. I am ready to lift the transfer case and bolt it to the trans, is there any trick to this fittment or do you just bolt it up, put the rear gear on the shaft and tighten and cotter pin the nut? What torque on the nut? Thanks for the help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are missing the rubber isolation mount between the transmission and crossmember. You need to fully assemble the fork on the trans before you stab the transmission. Use a piece of wire to retain tension on the spring. The observation hole is not intended for servicing the throwout bearing. Also, you need to assemble the transfer to the transmission before you install on the engine.

Next time pull the engine and transmission/transfer as a power pack, and work on it on the garage floor. It is easier.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, I was afraid I might have to pull it off to put the xfer case on.....darn. I still am not sure how to put the fork on and still get the input shaft through the hole in the bellhousing though. Oh well, I will give it a try.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help guys! I bit the bullet, dropped the bellhousing, built up the bellhousing - trans - xfer group and put it up. All fit well, now I just have to reconnect all the levers, linkages, shafts, and other gingerbread. I appreciate the guidance.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the operation was a success! The Devil Dog is back together, runs and shifts good and we took a test ride to the lake. Thanks for the help.