• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progress on the 5 Ton (Pics)

M1075

Looks great! What do you mean by "changing back to the proper configuration of super singles"? I thought it was only a tire/wheel change on the 5 tons.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a heavy tire and wheel change. I love the look of the 5 ton singled out much better than a deuce. My opinion.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a lot of work in one day.

Nice truck!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :)

1958 M274

M1075,
When this truck was overhauled by the Marine Corps in 1991 they upgraded it with the ISO bed, locking differentials, and super singles. When my Dad purchased the truck from Ryan Gill, Ted's Trucks had put 11.00-20 NDCC duals on it. When I said "changing to the proper configuration of super singles" I meant putting the correct tires and wheels back on it. It is just bolt on on these trucks, the rears are inside out. The rear hubs can be turned around like M35. I'm not sure why the USMC did not do that.

I have also included a picture showing singles vs. duals on the rear and a picture of changing the spare tire. That's a 1 ton chain hoist up there for the spare...

Attachments

derby

That is an awesome truck! look's tough.what kind of road speed do you get now?what was involved in hooking up the pto? I was told you can only have one,either front or rear .is that true? maybee,if i am lucky I will have some pics to share . once again great truck!

rmgill

That truck was a beast on the street. :shock: I'd get it out on the road, have a big grin on my face then I'd get into a tight spot or nearly run down some small car in a turn and warble back to "oh my god this is a big truck!" Driving back from Ted's trucks initially was a bear. She doesn't track when you're running with out a load. It's like the steering has no caster to it. Squirt Truck says this is generally characteristic of 5 tons.

Joe, the singles look great! Did you and your dad not like the extra tool box on the right side?

rmgill

Stretch44875 said:
Dang, your good. Thats a lot of lifting.
You listen to Joe's dad, and it's clear Joe is an excellent 'soldier B'. He grew up crawling under the trucks to get parts or hold stuff for his dad.
:wink:

1958 M274

derby,
I would estimate the road speed to be about 60 MPH at 2100 RPM (max. for the engine). We haven't clocked it yet. The PTO installation involves bolting the PTO to the transmission then installing the shift linkage and drive shaft. It's not hard to do. It is possible to have both forward and rear drive PTOs installed at the same time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks