• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins NTC-400

gusto1

This may be the most ignorant question I have asked yet.
Why are some of the NTC-400s painted black and others are tan on the 900 series trucks?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is the same reason some of the NHC-250s are in the 800 series trucks.

They come from rebuild as black and there is no need or wanting to paint them. But that's just a guess.
Pretty good one since I have three 818s sitting by the barn all rebuilt 5/2002 and all have black engines.

sw

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the opposite is true on the 400s. The stock color seems to be black, and when the engines went to Cummins for an overhaul, they came back tan.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M917 and an M916 with new motors...they are black...but they are dated in the early 80s. Both motors are definitely "new"...probably can motors in storage. The re-cons were tan.

With regard to the M939A2 series, the earlier motors were black, and the later motors were tan. That is a fact. I suspect that the military spec'ed motors in black initially and then agreed to accept motors in Cummins tan.

Ord22

the reason for the colors on the engines is because of the camoflage effect when opening the hood while in the field. The black engine were for the green and the green camoflage green, plus green was the standard color for everything in the begining. the tan went with tan vehicles. nowadays, you get what you get.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea about the MVs but I know that right around the years we are talking about here, Cummins changed their civilain engine color from tan to black. The early Cummins are tan, the later Cummins were black, and now they've went to red on some of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks