• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6X6 Dodge Command Car

JeepMan

Did a search on Yahoo Images for Command Car and one came up which was featured on www.Militaryphotos.net (page 29) of a 6X6 Command Car that someone was asking about on the forum. (Wanted to know it's WC designation). Someone said that there were only two made, (or exist) so there was no designation.
I'm thinking someone made one out of a WC63 6X6. What do you think??
(Course if they did make one, they had to sacrifice one or a body of one).

gerrykan

I remember seeing a picture somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it was a modern day incarnation.
It may have been in Australia.
I know there was a guy there that built Command Car bodies from scratch.

saddamsnightmare

February 1st, 2015

This thread, without pictures of the 6X6 Dodge Command car is about as dead as Punxsutawney Phil turning up tomorrow morning at Wreckerman's down in AL predicting 6 more weeks of winter..... Probably Patton had one, and the Germans definitely did have them, but I think we need more meat on these bones......:|

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Now folks may understand why we say post pictures to the thread and not to post links!
cc2.jpg cc1.jpg cc.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep! I tried some of the links....no good. Usually I don't bother trying - no pictures on the forum, I just move on.

Cheers

Another Ahab

I "dug" this up and it does in fact live. The 6x6 Command car.
This is great, thanks conny.

I don't recall ever seeing a photo of these. Patton in the 4x4's I've seen, but nobody in the 6x6 that I can think of.

Does anybody know where these were used?

Wolfen

If I remember correctly it was built after the War by someone. I remember reading about it on another Forum but I can't remember where. Dodge never made a 6x6 Command Car.

Another Ahab

If I remember correctly it was built after the War by someone. I remember reading about it on another Forum but I can't remember where. Dodge never made a 6x6 Command Car.
That is a totally custom job. They were never built or used in the war.
I was wondering why I couldn't recall seeing any of these things before. That sure explains why I never saw any photo of them in action. I am reassured!

FrankUSMC

I have seen one and sat in one!
Drum roll! The one I was in was made in the late 1980s by a very wealthy guy down the road from me. He bought all the remaining WC62s, and WC63s from White Owl parts company in Kinston, NC. He restored a couple of them, them he wanted to try something different. He wanted to make a 6x6 command car. He called it the "Grand Command Car". At the time I had a WC56 command car. He would come over and use cardboard to my copies of the rear part of my command car. The guy had a lot of money, so he got a sheet metal shop to make rear for the Grand Command car.
Now, look at the ones that are in the photos above, he had his made a little different. He had just one cut out on each side to enter the rear area, not two like the ones above. Also, the ones above have bench seats in the rear, this guy put very expensive boat style captains chairs in his. He also had a local sailing shop to make the canvas to it in white canvas.
If this guy made one, I am sure the others were also made post war. Remember guys, in the 1980s, a lot of WC62s, and WC63s came in from Greece. At that time they were very cheap, I could picture any one with some extra play money doing this like the guy I knew here. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks