• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CPR...PLEASE ...take a look

texas82blazer

The computer Im working from does not have sound but from what I read in the first part that is exactly what they want us to teach people. Also dont know if they said anything in the video about it but while you are doing compressions you need to have someone get a AED. I know alot of people are afraid to use them but you can do no harm to the person you are using them on just open it up and follow the directions they are very easy to use.

Scarecrow1

I was so fortunate to save a friend after he drowned back in the 70,s Another friend who was there said to me the next day you didn't perform the CPR right according to the book ..I smiled and said well he,s alive so it must have been close enough ...Thanks for posting this I hope to remember this one just in case it ever happens again ......

moose

Hi guys, its good to see people that are willing to help others. This new form of CPR really works a lot better. The fire dept. that I work for began using this new type of CPR about 3 years ago as part of the initial study and our save rate for cardiac arrest went from 2% of the people walking out of the hospital to 15% walking out without deficits. This is a great new piece of information and it is easier for bystanders to do because they don't have to worry about breathing for a stranger while help is on the way. Dont forget to call 911 right away to get that ball rolling, then start compresions, hard and fast. The only thing to remember is that this type of CPR is for cardiac arrest only, not drownings, repiratory failure that leads to cardiac failure, etc. If something like that happens, do the compressions, but do breath for them if you are willing and able.
Once again, thanks for caring about the people around you and being willing to help people, it shows that you are good people. In case anyone has any questions that a medic/firefighter can answere, feel free to ask me.

FrankUSMC

They were talking about this for a couple of years. I get trained every year by the Red Cross, and we are trained to do the breathing. I bring up the subject that the breathing part has been shown not to help, the instructor would agree with me, but, she has to teach it the way the Red Cross wants it.
One more note, when I saw this on the Nighty News about 2 years ago, about not doing the breaths, they added one more thing to keep in mind.
"while doing the chest compressions, to help keep a steady rhythem, think of the 1970s song by the BeeGees,..."staying Alive". The song has a perfect rhythem for chest compressions.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

stumps

Thanks for this post.

As a person who has administered CPR once, and failed, I can tell you that every little bit of exposure to the proper administration of the technique will help you on the fateful day when it is your turn. In my case, I learned CPR during the health segment of Junior High School gym class. I got my chance less than a month later. Somehow, in the midst of the adrenaline surge, I remembered what I was taught, and was able to do it by myself. Unfortunately, the person was too far gone to save.

Don't imagine that I didn't spend many agonizing hours second guessing myself, and wondering if maybe I could have done a better job... I have taken the training several times since, and I KNOW I did it right.... but that doesn't change the feelings.

The second time the need arose, I was coaching soccer. One of my players turned blue and collapsed. A parent in the medical profession took to the field and performed CPR. Again it was a failure. The child suffered a congenital heart failure that was beyond CPR... beyond anything but maybe instant surgical intervention... He was 11 years old.

CPR is the most difficult, and scary thing most people will ever be called upon to do... and it is essential that you put that all aside and get to work. Although it isn't a sure thing, it saves lives.

The one thing to remember is that if it could happen twice to me. It can happen to you. Be prepared.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Atwater

as a instructor once told us the most important thing is that you are doing something.
doing it by the book is good but doing something is better than sitting back and worrying about doing it wrong

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks