• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I dont know anything

gishane

So Hi all gishane here I just got Granddads 42 GMC 6 wheel drive
can anyone tell me if the numbers on the side of the hood mean anything ??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Darn nice truck! Looks like the same bed as a deuce, so they are out there. Dunno what the cost would be.

srodocker

AWESOME TRUCK where in wa are you. I'LL TAKE the truck off your hands!! i want one of those so bad hehe. mine if i come take a look? i can bring mine by :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking GMC CCKW! Yours looks to be a 41 or early 42 which never left the US. Your bed is from a later deuce, so it is wider than the original. If you find a canvas top (paulin) for it, make sure you get one that fits a "M35A2" deuce. New they run over $500 from vendors like Beachwood Canvas.

If you can, try to do some preservation on her . . . the cabs and sheet metal are very difficult to find in good shape.

The hood number is the US Army registration number, which will have started with the digit "4", which is code for 2 1/2 ton truck.

gishane

Arrrrggghhhhh

YES its one and the same but I paid $4500 for it My granddad keept saying theres my truck all the time we would see it ,so I thought I would get it so we could mess with it "male bonding" and such, but now hes going to stay with my brother in OK. and Im stuck with a truck I dont know anything about and a angey wife .
I have to say its funner than **** to drive Ive put about 130 miles on her and she just cruzes..................O.K. 40 mph isnt really cruzing still fun though.

paulfarber

41s and 42s sure did get sent to ETO/PTO. Operation Torch was started on 8 Nov 1942 and CCKWs indeed made the trip. VERY early CCW and CCKWXs were almost all lend lease till France fell and we had no where to ship them.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/epws/Fig32p359.jpg

You appear to have a 42/43 (if that grill emblem is legit, 99% are not) but the real tell is black out light and 'slick' running boards.

The bed is M35 and you need a battery box. Depending on the engine bay and the cab interior (most original closed cab seats are long gone) it looks decent. The early CCKWs (before mid-43) had the Series I hydrovacs and there are actually repair kits available. You have the original small mouth gas tank... that's a big plus and you can even see that the front shock damper links are the early stamped type... a nice bit of originality.

If you look on the frame rail above (or around) the passenger tire there should be a CCKW-353-XXXXXX-YX with the X's being numbers and the Y being a letter. Post that and I can get you closer to what it should have on it.

And oh yeah.. nice truck 8)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks