• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ramp length for deuce

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made mine out of an old truck frame, 12 foot, since that is how long the deuce bed is. Wish I had some made out of aluminum. They wiegh about 120 pounds each. They work pretty good for the jeep, not much bigger than a mule.
Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen aluminum ATV/UTV ramps for sale. 1000# capacity. They look like they'd work pretty well with my M105.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These are the ramps I have for the Mule. They are a hair over 8' long.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ubCVHZyfY[/media]

That's the only shot I have of using the ramps with the Deuce. All of my pics are with the D250 Dodge (see pics below).

Keep in mind in the pics below and the video, I parked the tow vehicles at the bottom of a rise to try and lessen the ramp angle. I don't like putting the mule in the Dodge, in the Deuce it's even less pleasant.

If I were going to build dedicated Mule/Deuce ranps, they'd be just long enough to touch the front of the bed and tailgate when closed (so about 12').

Of course, if you did that, you couldn't use them in an M105. I found Catlett's M105 to be an ideal mule hauler at the rally and the cover allowed the little Mule to stay dry and clean :-D.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake0147

I've seen aluminum ATV/UTV ramps for sale. 1000# capacity. They look like they'd work pretty well with my M105.

I own a set of these ramps for loading ATVs...

1000 pounds is deceptive. It's based on assumptions about wheel base and weight distribution. It could be accurate, but I think it's optimistic. I see ones out there with much less metal than mine, with the same rating. I believe the safety factor to be about zero.
Add to that, mine are ten foot ramps. They also come in twelve foot a couple of places. Same metal used, just cut longer. While the load angle is less, I'd bet the flex would increase signifigantly.
No regret's for having spent an insane amount of money for these ramps, as they are not something that I could fabricate (at least not if I hope to still put them on the truck by myself) but they are what they are, and they work, but they aren't spectacular.

Anyway, the original question...
Weight rating aside (for me anyhow, as you said you'd be making these yourself I hope you won't put that aside...) At ten feet long, I can load an ATV with acceptable confidence, but it's a long way up from level ground. If the terrain works against me even just a little bit, driving is out of the question. (They go up/down with the ATV's winch). It's much more reassuring when I can get the terrain to work in my favor, even a little depression to get the wheels into makes a BIG difference

Suggestion- Go as long you possibly can. Even twelve feet long makes for a good steep climb up into the truck. They're about twice as steep on the way down as on the way up. Since twelve feet is just what fits in the bed, twelve feet is what I'd recommend to you. I'll also say that when it comes to storing the ramps, there are many times when I've had other things in the bed (of several trucks, not limited to the deuce) and it was inconvenient to have the ramps exactly straight front to back. Depending on the width, two to three inches shorter than the bed with th gate closed is ideal, then you aren't commited to exactly how they must fit in there.

Also, do not neglect to terminate the top of the ramps with some type of "locking" feature. Something to "hook" is great, but at least a "lip" like commercial ramps have, so that you can ratchet strap them tight against the truck. The longer, steeper, and higher the ramps are, the worse the consequences of a "shift", and the greater the likelyhood of a "shift"... However you accomplish it, they need to be HELD in place, and not assumed that gravity will keep them there once you drive onto them, because it will not.

nickd

I have since made a set of wooden ramps with rampart model ends on them. I used 2x12's with 2 2x4's glued and screwed on edge on eadh for stiffiners. I have used these many times to load the mule onto the deuce and in to the 105 trailer and they work well. I have a set of ATV ramps for use to load the mule ito the pick up, I drive it up in reverse and walk behind it. Do not forger to set the parking brake when loading into the truck to prevent the truck from rocking as you load the mule. I have also midified an m116 trailer to haul the mule with a set of shorter ramps. The serge brake on the trailer and 12v lamps in the tail lights along with a military trailer receptacle on the back of the picvk up truck makes trailer hook ups easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks