• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative m109 engines

jaws

Hey guys,
Proud to be a new member here, this is my first post.
I am looking into doing the whole m109 restoration process but my research led me into a couple problems.
1. The engine is LOUD
2. m109's can supposedly only go 55mph
3. Gas mileage

So here is the BIG question- Is there a more silent, efficient, faster engine I could swap out for the original m109 engine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
jaws

SixSpeed

Banned
1.) Most diesel engines are going to be pretty loud and that is going to be your only option. A gasoline motor is NOT going to be an option if fuel economy is of concern. Only the new, common rail diesel engines are quiet, and that is a cost/electronics nightmare to retrofit. However, there are quieter motors out there, even a noisy 12V Cummins is quieter than stock.

2.) The problem is it isn't the engine holding you back. Its everything else too. The tires are only rated for 55MPH, the brakes can only handle so much, and even if you had a rev happy engine you are still going to spin the drivetrain very fast, it doesn't hold up well like that.

3.) These trucks don't get bad fuel economy AT ALL for a 15K pound truck, considering it has 10 tires, three axles, and tons of drive train loss. You should expect about 10MPG. However, with a properly set up diesel swap I don't think 1up to 5MPG would be out of the question.

If it were YOUR money I was spending I would:

1.) Ouverson 4.90 Diff Gears (Around $1000-1200 Per Axle)
2.) Cummins 12V 5.9 Diesel Engine (Proven/Reliable/Efficient)
3.) Sound Insulation
4.) Michelin 11.00R20 XL Tires (Rated for 65MPH)

You could cruise at 60MPH @ 1800RPM. It would be quiet, and efficient at those RPM. It would significantly lower drivetrain RPM by re-gearing the axles.

I wouldn't want to cruise at anything more than 60 in one of these trucks.

My $0.02

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks