• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Saber..Sortof

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the following item: Hughes Aircraft, Ground Support Group, Part # 716914-1

It is a hand held light on the end of a 110v 400hz power cord.
It is about 2 to 3 feet long with a heavy rubber handle.
the light is a cylinder about 2 inches in diameter and inside there is a skinny
florescent bulb. There is also a perforated metal shield inside which I
suspect is just for structure and heat dissipation.

My guess is this is used by ground support to guide planes to their correct parking space. I am sure you guys know exactly what I have.
The end of this has improvised cap made out of silicone rubber and looks a bit hoky,
but I suspect it might actually work. I just don't have a 400hz source.

If anyone is really interested in this and can make use of it in a display or reenactment, I might be willing to donate it to a good home. You will need to pay for shipping but it is not that heavy. I would just like to see it get some use.

This came from a DRMO sale at Alameda, CA when they started to shut down the Air Field there.
Bruce

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
400 Hz is on aircraft specific. Could be a light used in the back of a cargo / tranport acft. Alameda had P-3s, S-2s, A-3s and H-53s all of which could have used this light. Alameda was my first base way back in "82. It'll find a good home with me.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light arrived today, thanks. I'll post a pic, its a fuel cell light. You use it when you're crawling around inside a fuel tank (big airplanes) It's 400 Hz because that's what the aircraft puts out at 120 volts. Very nice light!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks