• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaking from starter

tjcouch

Oil is leaking from my starter - I thought the leak was coming from the mounting flange since there was no gasket.

I pulled the starter and remounted it with RTV.

The leak is slightly less, but it seems to be leaking from the starter itself, a few inches down from the flange.

There is a rubber seal around the shaft - and it seems to be ok.

Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Pipehitter35

I have never seen a starter leak oil have you check to make sure your rear main seal isn't the source of the leak because it could be slinging the oil when you are driving

6x6guy

Did you pull the bell housing drain plug, to obtain any leakage into the clutch assembly, are you sure its not 80/90 leaking from the trans assembly. :cry:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
yes if you real main engine seal is leaking / and your transaxle seals are leaking the flywheel will pick up the oil and fling it around and around inside the bell houseing and sometimes oil will leak out of the starter because it does't have a gasket.

smell the oil heavy gear oil stinks it's not like reg oil but anyway you look at it you need to remove your engine to fix the problem

rango

its not gear oil then lol

we first noticed this issue after replacing his fuel pump, and the fluid smelt like gas, we then found out that fuel tends to enter the crank when the pumps fail so looks like it needs a rear main

rango

update, we are mid way though diag, drain for bell housing is FUBR'd so engine is out (working on a replacement to avoid future issues), yes it is gasoline we are smelling, working on removing flywheel at the moment, any advice on clutch alignment tool?

pics to follow, as well as the carnage that happened pre engine removal:lol:aua

Last edited:

rango

ok so yeah flywheel is kicking my ass, how in the **** do you get this thing off

i got the snap ring out, tried running bolts though the extra 2 holes, those bent and broke, tried LIGHTLY using the center section of a 3 arm puller against the pressure plate that didn't work, i didn't want to put to much stress on that and damage it

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send a PM to Clinto.

tjcouch

Some pictures from today's adventure. I look forward to hearing any clever ideas for getting the flywheel off.

Attachments

rango

shhhhhh lol

ok so heres the story:

Tj dropped the m274 off at my location around 1245 friday afternoon, when i came home from work i attempted to unload it, it didn't want to fire, losing light i called it a night, this morning i go out hook my truck to it with jumper cables, and get her started, so of course victory lap ensued, and a lil playing with it, lol high gear is scary as **** rofl

ok joy ride over, i proceed to place it for engine extraction, i back it up to my ramps which were approximately 8-10ft from my shed, shut it down and make sure the ramps are aligned, knowing that i can operate the vehicle from a standing position in front of it, i figure i would do this as i am 6'4" and can not really fit on this **** thing.

so i start it up, put it in reverse (mind you still in HI), it attempts to climb the ramps but doesn't make it so i give it a lil bit of throttle, thats about when it rocketed over the ramps backwards (impressive sight btw) and ran straight into my shed door (square in the middle mind you), by the time i went to grab the clutch the mule was 3ft in front of where my hand had been, i then dove after it and luckily hit the cut off switch

that was then proceeded by a 20 minute storm of curse words and random throwing of objects and hitting of other objects, which was then followed by me making the 2acre walk back to the main house to tell my father-n-law (the one that just paid over 2k for my shed) that i f-d up and it needs a new door, did i mention he was sitting on the patio watching the whole thing unfold?:oops::x

flame away

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously, the door was defective 2cents

rango

im really sorry, i kinda hate kicking people when they are down, but you had to know it was coming
nopics

um.........:cookoo: see the above links in my earlier posts lol

@dog, i completely agree, we now have a reason to up-grade to a better door, that we will be finishing tomorrow, 2x4s and ply, over compressed foam and plastic

asgtoolman

Glad to know bad things happen to other good people; I tried driving my mule up some ramps from the beach at my lake house up a 3' high seawall. The only thing I had not done was secure the ramps, so half way up, one ramp gets launched out from under me and the mule kept climbing the other ramp which let the mule roll over on me--somehow my body rolled to the right and the steering shaft and seatback held the machine up high enough to keep the deck from crushing me. I was able to reach up and kill power and some neighbors who saw it all were able to flip the machine off me after being pinned under it for 15 minutes.
The only damage- a bent steering wheel, torn canvas on the seatback, scuffed up side rails, and a bruised ego.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks