• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U2 Joyride.... Unclass....WOW!

Stan Leschert

I have some crazy friends who know my interests, and they know that I will share the good stuff with you.

Here is the unedited narrative:

From watching this video, you can see why the U-2 is considered the most difficult plane in the world to fly. Each pilot has a co-pilot, whochases the plane on the runway in a sports car. Most of the cars are either Pontiac GTOs or Chevrolet Cameros - the Air Force buys American. The chase cars talk the pilot down as he lands on bicycle-style landing gear. In that spacesuit, the pilot in the plane simply cannot get a good view of the runway. Upon takeoff, the wings on this plane, which extend 103 feet from tip to tip, literally flap.

To stabilize the wings on the runway, two pogosticks on wheels prop up the ends of the wings. As the plane flies away, the pogo sticks drop off. The plane climbs at an amazing rate of nearly 10,000 feet a minute. Within about four minutes, I was at 40,000 feet, higher than any commercial airplane. We kept going up to 13 milesabove Earth's surface. You get an incredible sensation up there. As you look out the windows, it feels like you're floating, it feels like you're not moving, but you're actually going 500 mph.

The U-2 was built to go higher than any other aircraft. In fact today, more than 50 years since it went into production, the U-2 flies higher than any aircraft in the world with the exception of the space shuttle. It is flying more missions and longer missions than ever before - nearly 70 missions a month over Iraq and Afghanistan , an operational tempo that is unequaled in history. The pilots for 11 hours at a time, sometimes more than 11 hours up there alone.

By flying so high, the U-2 has the capability of doing reconnaissance over a country without actually violating its airspace. It can look off to the side, peering 300 miles or more inside a country without actually flying over it. It can "see" in the dark and through It can also "hear," intercepting conversations 14 miles below. The U-2, an incredible piece of history and also a current piece of high technology, is at the center of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan .

Enjoy the ride! Lockheed U-2 Take A Ride in a Spy Plane, Click the link below.

Go to the lower right corner of the screen and click the icon immediately to the left of the volume control to bring up the full screen.

Breathtaking spy plane footage. [VIDEO]

Freight Dog

That video was magnificent! Thank-you for sharing it with us.
A few years ago, as a B-757 Instructor, I had a student that was a former
U-2 pilot. Because the technology goes back to the fifties, I thought he
might reveal it's maximum altitude capability. He said he could not because it was STILL
classified. He said I can give you an idea though. One flight took him up over Nova Scotia.
While at altitude he rolled into a turn. Looking down at the Earth
he said he could see the, "Terminator",
which is the line of demarcation between Day and Night!

And I thought I was sitting up pretty high in my M35...

Freight Dog

jwaller

james may from top gear made an entire TV show out of his ride on the U2. its on youtube if you search for it. very very cool stuff, coming from an ATP pilot myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks