• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PAINT SUPPLIERS

meckanic

In researching the availability of camo paints for vehicles, I have found that it can be purchased locally by commercial paint dealers.

Here is how to brake the confusion:

1. Most military paint is given a color code based upon Federal Specification 595B
2. To see what the color is: go to IPMS and go to FS Server.
3. Insert the five digit number in the box and see the color.

Most commercial paint stores have a copy of the FS Color Chart that they use to mix their proprietory paint with.

What this means is:
A. Find the color you want and obtain the five digit number.
B. Go to a commercial paint dealer and tell them you want the color in enamel.
C. They can mix according to the FS Number

I hope this helps someone.

This also works for RAL colors and NATO 3 Color Camo

sf38a1

Or just buy Gillespie, buy the gallon or spray can. Always the same color,every time. I tried to get 24087 from a automotive paint supplier and could never get the right shade. I had the same problem when I tried to get the Strata Blue . the shade was to light , I order a spay can from RAPCO,and it was the right blue, so i ordered 2 gals. That another good thing , if your are unsure about the color, you can always get a spray can to check the color.

emr

Also Arvoe is easy to use and cheap like the rest of the hobby paints, as for store bought, it is usually alot more expensice, and flats are a problem i find, also like said above the best matches are gilespie and arvoe.

Magilla

RAPCO VS. TM9 - which to get???

I just got a metal sample plate from TM9 with OD 24087 (1968-1975), and I also ordered some RAPCO / Gillespie 24087 in spray cans.

I sprayed a carboard template last night.

When I went to compare the two plates, it is READILY APPARENT that the TM9 24087 and the Gillespie 24087 are different colors.

I prefer the TM9 color (it is darker, and a little "greener" with less "khaki"), but I want to be able to do touch-ups with spray cans...

aua

TM9 is a single-stage urethane paint and is UV stable. It is also extremely durable. However, it must be mixed with a catalyst, and you only have a short amount of time to mpaint it once mixed.

RAPCO is an alkyd enamel. With a hardener, it can be pretty durable, but it is not UV stable. The paint will fade with time. However, the spray and the paint is the same color...

Any advice?

nattieleather

I know that shipping the Gillispie paint can get down right stupid, but even at the cost of commercial paint and the additional flatner that has to be added I think the Gilispie thin and shoot paint is worth it. Plus it holds up very well and doesn't seem to have a fading problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks