• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat head jeep engine

bkwudzhom

My dad knows I love my M1008 and asked me what I knew of Jeeps. I told him absolutly nothing, but I know where to find some one who does! SO here I am. Anyway-He picked up an old irrigation pump and said that it has a flathead Jeep engine in it. I have not had the time to go down and look it over and would like some information on them as far as value and part avalibility. He said it has been sitting for a long time and was "running when parked"--but we all know what that can mean. I plan to go down in the next couple of weeks to see what it actually is and if I can get it running. Any suggestions??
Tks in advance!
BK

paulfarber

All the wear parts are available... with crankshafts being the most hard to find part. Most used cranks are gonna be a few sizes under as they were reground.

The L-134 was used in the CJ2As and lots of parts are around.

Blocks and heads are easy to find, but generally in un-rebuild shape. Pick up any of the MV manuals and there are companies selling French rebuilt crate engines for $2800 or so. But as long as the block is good you should be able to machine it back into shape.

I just did new timing gears/chain and main/rod bearings on my L-134 in the GPW. Next is most likely valve guides. Nothing hard about the engine.

I would *NEVER* attempt to start a long sitting engine that was out in the weather. Water, lack of lube, crud in the lines/water jacket, rust, critters etc are all very real problems. I would not even try to turn it over... all the crud in the cylinders just scored the walls or damaged the piston etc etc etc.

Take it home, clean it up, service it and THEN try to turn it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks