• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wont stay running on first start up

wharfman

wont stay running
i have a 1028 when i go to start it for the first time it starts than dies than you have to crank it for a min or so than it run fine has new fuel pump seems like its does not get fuel any help thanks Dave

motorman

hello wharfman

i had a similar problem with my M1009

if i did not 'catch' it on the first try it would take much cranking to get it running.

wallew, warwag and others indicated it was probably the fuel filter base letting air into the system.

changed the fuel filter base over the thankdgiving weekend along with the glowplugs and now it hits first time without touching the petal. started this way at about 29F on saturday morning!!

oem-surplus has the complete bases. $67 shipped and it arrived in 2 days.

best regards
m

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have this in the CCKW forum...

I would look for an air leak in the fuel system- enough fuel in the line and IP to fire up at first, but then you have to crank and crank and crank...

OL AG '89

If this is happenning only when engine is cold, and its cold outside, it is normal, to some extent.
I have the same problem now that weather is down below 50 degrees. No problem when air is warmer. No air leaks in fuel filter base, fuel pump is strong.
I cycle the gp's, crank and it starts runs a little then dies. I cycle gp's again and usually 2nd time it starts and continues to run.
You didn't mention if you the problem when engine is cold or hot.
I am planning to replace GP's when i can in the next month or so, or if it gets worse. The M1009 is not a daily driver, so not that urgent.

ranchhopper

Sounds like fuel starvation when you start it the truck uses all the fuel in the lines and pump then after cranking for a while it recharges the fuel system and it will finally start.Your lines may be leaking down back into the fuel tank and it takes that long series of cranking to get the fuel back to the top of the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks